Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning two 74 GTV’s over a 20 year period, I needed an Alfa fix.
Just purchased an ‘86 Spider Veloce in fine condition with 46K miles on it. Oil usage driving 900 miles on hwy at 70 Mph over two days was about a quart. Did not see any smoke or smell oil with both windows cracked. Second issue is that about 40% of the time shifting up or down into third it either won’t go into gear or immediately pops out.
Seems to be a lot of oil usage, yes?
Need rings?
Anyone experience 3rd gear problem and if so did you fix it and how.
Many thanks and great to be behind the wheel of an Alfa again.
Herb

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I recently rebuilt a transmission where the spacer between the two driven shafts (3rd and 4th gear) was destroyed and missing. Same symptoms.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Using under a quart of oil in 900 miles is not a big deal......

3rd gear poping out is. My vote is a bent shift rod or fork.

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
First thing to do on third gear is make sure the shifter is not hitting the console opening. If it is this will prevent the shifter from fully engaging the gear.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Mine jumped out of third after I missed a shift at 7000 rpm and damaged the dogs on 3rd gear (and also sheared the flywheel bolts). My favorite gearbox builder repaired it for me.

1 quart in 900 miles is not too bad for one of these motors.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,852 Posts
I’d check for leaks and make sure your oil vapor separator is clean. But you can drive for a long time with that sort of consumption.

A thicker oil like 15w50 can help. My Spider stared burning a lot less after I went to that weight in Mobil1 and drove the crap out of it a while. Maybe the rings cleaned up or something.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I fixed the same problem on a 1967 Deutto Spider and helped a friend repair a reverse gear with the same problem. The top of the split case transmission just behind the bell housing are three small cylinders which are held down by two six mm nuts. Remove the nuts and remove the small cylinders and there will be a small spring and a ball bearing under the spring. The center one is used for third and fourth gear and the spring may be broken. I replaced the spring and holder with a stronger one from a later transmission. This solved the problem in both transmissions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all suggestions re: 3rd gear. Will check them out. Loving the feel of an Alfa again after 25 years without.
Need good mechanic in northern NJ for 86 Spider. Reccomentations?
Thanks,
Herb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts