Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a constant leak from the small cover plate in my water pump. The 20mm-ish cover plate is located immediately underneath the impeller/pulley.

I am informed that replacement apparently requires mods to a 164 unit, as the Potenziata unit is unique to the model and NLA.

1. Is the leak an early warning sign of failure, or just a seal which can be replaced or (cringe) sealed with JB weld or epoxy? The bearing seems sweet, still, and no other leaks were aooarent..

2. What is the nature of the modifications required to the 164 unit?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Can you get a photo of what you're talking about? That would be much easier.

And 'Yes' Potenziata pumps are basically Rocking Horse poo, now.......... :cursing:
Ideas are being thrown around to make a replacement V belt pulley so that the 164 pumps can be used on the Potenziata/SZ/RZ engines.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Here is a pic. It's more like 40mm than 20, but I'm still not sure why it's there....

In this sideways pic, of course, the plate is to the right rather than below.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Potenziata water pumps

Hi

It sound like the body of your Potenziata water pump is the same as the body used on V6 164 water pumps. You may be able to make a "new" pump by combing parts from both pumps.

Does your current water pump have a pressed on pulley or a bolt-on pulley? The water pumps sold for the 75 (Milano is the USA) have a pressed on one-piece vee type pulley. The 164 water pumps (all 3.0 V6 in the USA) have a two piece serpentine type pulley. The serpentine belt runs in a pulley that is bolted to a flange. The flange in turn is pressed onto the main shaft.

The flange is easy to press off. In fact the entire 164 style pump is easy to dismantle.

So far dismantling a Milano water pump has proved impossible. The one piece vee type pulley is pressed hard onto that shaft. Various attempts with the press and the torch have only produced disturbing ominous noises. The kind of noise that normally precedes the object being pressed, flying off the press and shooting across the shop.

If you can get the pulley off your old pump you may be able to graft it onto a new 164 pump.

So like another poster said please post a picture.

Below is a picture I pulled off the internet of a Potenziata water pump. Is this what your pump look like?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Hi Ranz

So while I was uploading my image you posted your own! Okay now post an an image of the water pump pulley.

Bye

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Unfortunately you can't use a 164 water pump and the Potenziata pulley. The 164 pump's hub is larger in diameter, the locating spigot is larger in diameter and the bolt PCD's are different. The offsets might be different, too.
Plus the (cast) Potenziata pulley doesn't have enough meat on it to simply machine it to suit the 164 pump, either..............

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks guys...

If I hear you correctly:
- you can pull the hub from the shaft of both the Potenziata and 164 pulleys (the photos certainly look the same press fit).
- in which case installing the Potenziata hub and pulley together onto the 164 body might work??

Is it risky to do this (eg damage seals etc)?

I suppose this may all be academic, and a machined pulley solution may be by far the best, so please don't turn your minds inside out pondering this, but...

...it sounds Milanoguy that you have disassembled a few, so:
- are they in fact rebuildable - can you get bearings, seals etc?
- if so (which takes me back to one of my original questions) ... Is there a seal behind that front cover, can you buy it, or if not, is it safe or silly to bog it up?

I will be interested to see Jason's pulley and relevant specs.

p.s. - Duk - supercharged 3 litre.... I like the sound of that...

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Water pump weep holes

Hi Ranz

Okay you said

- if so (which takes me back to one of my original questions) ... Is there a seal behind that front cover, can you buy it, or if not, is it safe or silly to bog it up?

The short answer is that no you can't just epoxy up the leaking area.

The way most water pump work is that immeddiately behind the main seal (in an area which always should be dry) are one or more weep holes that lead to the outside.

When the main seal is doing it's job; nothing happens. When the seal begins to fail, small amounts of coolant leak out by the seal, drain out through the weepholes and eventually puddle down to the ground.

You the end user are then supposed to note "Hey there's a small pool of coolant under the car. I must investigate my water pump and/or cooling system." Part of the reasoning is that if the weepholes wasn't there, the pump would fail catastrophically and without warning. Some kind of electronic sensor hooked up to an idiot light would seem to be a better idea, but that's another post.

So the pump will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Okay I had assumed from your earlier posts that the water pump was still on the car. Is this not the case ? If the pump is off the car, is that pump in question pictured in your post?

Finally we're still waiting for a picture of the pulley.

Bye

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, that is my water pump in the picture. With a little more grey matter applied, what you say makes perfect sense - the seal has obviously failed.

When you say rebuild or replace - given the obvious pulley hassles, is it economic to rebuild, and are the parts (bearing + seal, plus anything else required?) available - and from where, would you know?

Thank you for your patience...

·
Premium Member
844 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for help and advice - I will enquire locally.

I am thinking the answer WILL probably lie with a machined pulley - if you are still listening Jason, a picture or drawing with some specs would be great.

Regards,
Paul.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any news, Jason?

Hi Jason (1969read),

Any news on the arrival and specs for your machined pulley?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ranz my car has not been touched because of work commitment's I have yet to have Christmas holidays yet. once I have had some parts machined up I let you know cheers Jason

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have done it: press off the pulley adapter from a new 164 pump.
Press on the old QV/Potenziato pulley adapter on the 164 pump.
Be sure to measure the exact position of the adapter on your old QV pump.
The QV adapter must not go all the way on the 164 axle when it is pressed on.
The axle on the 164 pump is just a little shorter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts