Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the scarcity of some of the odder parts on older cars such as the 164 it seems like a great idea for someone to set up a 3D printing shop for replicating some of these parts. I'd think you could just glue the pieces back together to put them in a 3d scanner and then you could print an unbroken perfect part. With this technology old cars may have better chances of full restoration then they ever did. Might be especially valuable for the crappy plastic parts on circa 80's cars.

I need to spend some time searching around the net to see if that's happening. Anyone seen anything like that?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I keep getting email advertisements at work from next line manufacturing. I'm sure there's a bunch of these places popping up now. I understand the cost to start this is beyond the hobbyist. You'd want to be making some profit!

3D Printing, Rapid Prototyping & Advanced Manufacturing

Curious to see if you follow through with anything, and how the process unfolds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've been looking at adding a 3d printer to help develop unique products at my main business. www.nordstrandpickups.com I know car parts will have to be a bit better structurally and have better detail than what the cheaper printers are capable of but I don't know how much those machines cost.
I'd imagine the real expense is in the scanner. Would need really hi res I'd think.
Time for some research.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Yeah, thought about those pesky outer and inner 164 door handles.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
The trick is to find an outfit which can do sintered metal pieces or castings which wouldn't cost a bundle which evidently only Leno and other millionaires can easily afford. I don't think there is a plastic which would have the required strength/stiffness.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A friend here at work has the qualifications to test this for us. He's a 3D artist so knows how to build a .obj file of a door handle, could replicate the geometry and has his own 3D printer. If someone wants to donate a broken exterior door handle to the cause, and we can float him the cash to build a prototype, I can see if he'd be interested in giving it a shot.

·
Registered
656 Posts
3D printer for metal provides a high-quality metal products. I do not see the point in the production of door handles you can buy them.
http://allegro.pl/klamka-zewnetrzna-drzwi-str-prawa-alfa-romeo-164-i4772925670.html
Prices in Poland are very good. The price of these door handles around $25.

Here you can buy new
http://www.miraglio.it/prodotti_dettaglio.php?codice=80/359&modello=164&marca=ALFA+ROMEO

Last year I wanted to buy a 3D printer, then changed his mind, found a better use for $3000 :))

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
The door handles was just a suggestion of which parts could end up being potentially hard to find or even unavailable (as new) parts as candidates. If you are able to buy them easily, then that's fine. The outer handles are very difficult if not impossible to correctly repair. At least the inner ones usually can be, depending on their failure mode.

There are probably other parts which are not available (as new) nowadays which might be good candidates. Maybe we should make a list?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The outer handles are very difficult if not impossible to correctly repair.
Door handles on later models (Super) do not break as often as on earlier models. I do not know why, but it's a fact. But it's better when it's cold, be careful. I just do not try winter car wash.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts