Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
mirror bracket

Mine on the Super was plastic. I made a new one in steel, took about half an hour. This new 3D printing is great, but, maybe, not always the simplest solution.

Barry

·
Registered
700 Posts
Plastic or Stainless steel??

Ciao Vangos,

Can you please advise if there is any issues with the plastic bracket, or is the new ss bracket far more superior.
Thanks in advance

Saluti
Sergio

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ciao Vangos,

Can you please advise if there is any issues with the plastic bracket, or is the new ss bracket far more superior.
Thanks in advance

Saluti
Sergio
Sergio,
The problem with the plastic base is that, even though the material is strong it has some flexibility and as a result the mirror vibrates a bit. The metal base is rock-solid and looks great too. I find the plastic to still be perfectly usable but I much prefer the metal one. The good news is that the SS print prices at Shapeways went down a bit recently. Hopefully that trend will continue.

Vangelis

·
Registered
414 Posts
Vangelis,

Do you have any plans to replicate the rear quarter window latch mechanism in stainless steel? There is I suspect a large market for these in a material other than pot metal.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks Vangelis,

Is the Matt black ss an acceptable finish or is it best to buy the raw ss and then prep and paint to suit? Note that mine is not for concourse!

Saluti
Sergio

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks Vangelis,

Is the Matt black ss an acceptable finish or is it best to buy the raw ss and then prep and paint to suit? Note that mine is not for concourse!

Saluti
Sergio
The one in the pictures above was printed in polished nickel steel and I think it looks pretty good as is. It's less shiny than the original part but close enough. I haven't tried the mate black SS but I imagine it looks ok too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
On a somewhat unrelated note, I recently tried to replicate a wrench from an original Giulietta toolkit. Here it is, printed in SS. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the detail on the script came out ok. It also feels pretty good in the hand, just the right weight. At $60 or so it's still not very cost effective though.

IMG_20141120_215505.jpg

IMG_20141120_215513.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Vangelis,

Do you have any plans to replicate the rear quarter window latch mechanism in stainless steel? There is I suspect a large market for these in a material other than pot metal.

Thanks,
Bob
I'll take a look. It shouldn't be that hard. Although the original latches seem pretty solid to me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'll take a look. It shouldn't be that hard. Although the original latches seem pretty solid to me.
Vangelis,

Solid they are, but like a mirror bracket can and do crack and pit. I've only seen pitted or damaged latches for the last 10 years or so, Also like the mirror bracket I've only been able to repair a latch so many times.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A quick update:

I reworked the model a bit to more closely match the original and had it printed out in Stainless Steel. It came out pretty nice, and feels a lot more solid than the plastic part.

The new model is now here : Alfa Romeo 65-67 Sprint GT mirror base by vangos on Shapeways

View attachment 553601

View attachment 553609

View attachment 553617
Hey, mine just broke on a drive this morning and the mirror fell in my lap.
The original on my '66 stepnose is raw metal, brushed; not chromed. And the others I have found that are now being made are all chrome. So I thought I'd give yours a try... I just ordered it!
I'll report back on how it looks and works.
Thanks!
C

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey, mine just broke on a drive this morning and the mirror fell in my lap.
The original on my '66 stepnose is raw metal, brushed; not chromed. And the others I have found that are now being made are all chrome. So I thought I'd give yours a try... I just ordered it!
I'll report back on how it looks and works.
Thanks!
C
My broken "raw metal" mount, for comparison.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts