Alfa Romeo Forums banner
301 - 320 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I should also mention that I have made revisions to the fuel injector seats and seals:

I made the bottom skirt of the seal (the flexible part) 1mm longer, so that it is flush with the bottom of the seat. More of an aesthetic thing I guess, but it does provide the maximum sealing surface possible.

I remodeled the seat (the rigid part) from a 24-segment circle to a 48-segment circle. It provides a smoother surface, and a more positive fit in the intake manifold.

Some people have been using the previous designs for a year or two now. However, since I had my intake manifold accessible, I thought I'd refine things a bit.

Remember that if you print the seat yourself in ABS, to scale it to 101%, to compensate for the plastic contracting as it cools. We're talking hundredths of a millimeter here, but it helps to be as accurate as you can for the best fit.

The files are linked below; previous links also point to the current files.

Injector Seal

Injector Seat
Thank you for this shakey! Do you think its ok to us PLA for this? The PLA temps for printing says 205-225 temp. I imagine the engine gets hotter than this and would melt the PLA?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Short answer: No, don't use PLA. Broadly speaking, PLA is fine for decorative items, but use ABS for functional or structural items.

If your printer uses a Bowden drive, you will be unable to push the Ninjaflex filament through it, to print the seal.

Also, be aware that some people have reported that their printed injector seats and seals have not held up as well as manufactured items. I've been using mine for several years without any problems, and a friend of mine has been using his for a year. Your results may vary.

-Kevin

Reactions: vbisbest

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Bump. Let's keep this thread going. Is there a sticky (or another thread) with CAD files that anyone can use / share, to make parts for our Alfas?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Some time ago, I was in discussions with the site owners, to establish a file hosting area. They were initially agreeable, but nothing ever came of it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Some time ago, I was in discussions with the site owners, to establish a file hosting area. They were initially agreeable, but nothing ever came of it.
Can you share your efforts, so that perhaps others can help and persuade the powers that be to establish something like this. Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
I have links to the files in posts throughout the thread. The linked files are freely accessible from my dropbox account.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
I'm working on it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to discover that mine isn't symmetrical nor perfectly round! I'm making some 'best guesses'; we'll see how the first test sample prints.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,569 Posts
It would sure be a real asset for the BB to have a site where people involved with all models could submit sources for 3D printed parts. As has been mentioned above, more are needed just about every day for every Alfa.

Esp since the new Alfa dealers do not acknowledge the older cars, and do not carry parts for them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
I have finished the model for the mirror selector ring:

I recommend printing this with a resin printer, rather than an FDM (filament-type) printer.

I've printed two of these, and the little barbs on the thin circle hold the ring firmly to the switch. That should mean fewer of these accidentally popping out and getting lost. My daughters have tried to lose mine a few times over the years!

The model is in .stl format. Download it here:
Mirror Selector Ring 3D Model

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
I have finished the model for the mirror selector ring:

I recommend printing this with a resin printer, rather than an FDM (filament-type) printer.

I've printed two of these, and the little barbs on the thin circle hold the ring firmly to the switch. That should mean fewer of these accidentally popping out and getting lost. My daughters have tried to lose mine a few times over the years!

The model is in .stl format. Download it here:
Mirror Selector Ring 3D Model
you're a star:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 · (Edited)
Thanks Sharkey for the mirror selector ring! I printed it over the weekend and it works perfectly... although it's orange ;)
I've heard that orange is the new black! I'm glad it worked for you.

You may be able to paint it. Acrylic paint seems to adhere well to the resin, although most of the painting I've done is for wargame miniatures. I'm not sure how the paint would wear with everyday use.

Reactions: abeasley

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've heard that orange is the new black! I'm glad it worked for you.

You may be able to paint it. Acrylic aint seems to adhere well to the resin, although most of the painting I've done is for wargame miniatures. I'm not sure how the paint would wear with everyday use.
Shakey's 3D files are great!

I have used Shapeways to print them Shapeways had a good selection of material and colors.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

301 - 320 of 358 Posts