Alfa Romeo Forums banner

281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Kevin,

I'm not sure if you mentioned this before, but which 3D printer do you use? Also, what tools do you use to create the 3D Files?

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Kevin, any luck with finding another suitable material? Id be willing to buy some PA11 material for this if if you are willing to try it.
PA11 is a flexible nylon alloy filament; I see it used for medical ortho applications. It doesn't seem it would be a replacement for ABS applications.

-Kevin

·
Registered
99 Posts
This eBay merchant has a couple of those power mirror selectors available for less than $50 each:
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/223721928609
I went back to look at this part and it appears they are recreating them as well (stated in the description).

Code:
Alfa Romeo spider S3 power mirror switch control knob , side the side action ,
Drivers and passenger control knob,
This is a copy made of D80 shore hardness epoxy,
Made exact to factory specs,
Sold exact as shown ,
The last picture in the add ,is the location of the knob on the switch( electronic switch is not included)
Selling the one control knob only,
This does the trick if your missing the control  knob,works the same as original ,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-spider-S3-power-mirror-switch-side-D-to-side-P-control-Knob-86-90/223794019406

Also, it looks like they removed any mention of it being reproductions in the later posts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My friends at my local computer club (there must be a dozen in the club) swear by the "Creality Ender 3", available on Amazon for ~$230.. Interesting results if you google..."ender 3". Good Luck Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
My friends at my local computer club (there must be a dozen in the club) swear by the "Creality Ender 3", available on Amazon for ~$230.. Interesting results if you google..."ender 3". Good Luck Paul
I have the Flux Delta, got many years ago as a Kickstarter before I got married. It's not bad but I wouldn't recommend it now since it is limited by the types of materials it can print due to the temp of the print head and a non-heated bed.

My nephew just got an ender 3 for Christmas and has been printing quite a few things... they seem to be turning out better than my prints as well... go figure. I might have to convince my wife I need an upgrade.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I've been doing some testing on the injector seats over the holidays.

I took a few examples printed out of black and natural ABS and submerged them in gasoline. After about six hours of immersion, the surfaces softened a bit, where you could slightly scratch them with a fingernail. After three days of gasoline bath, the ABS still had not softened or distorted; the fuel simply slowly erodes the outer surfaces of the ABS objects. I did not try using various other chemicals like SeaFoam, injector cleaner, etc....the list would have been exhaustive.

I went back through my notes from overhauling my engine. I had taken temperature readings of the intake manifold area after I had the engine reassembled and running, but I did not record the temps. My recollection is that it was well below 100°C...I remember thinking it wasn't even close to boiling temp. This would be consistent with the fact that we have to heat the intake plenum with coolant to ensure proper atomization of the fuel (something my V-8 Chevy's don't have to worry about, but my straight-six Chevy and air-cooled VWs do...just like the Alfa).

I suspect the culprit is a chemical...other than fuel.

I pulled my fuel rail over the holidays, and inspected my seats...everything looked normal. I ran a borescope camera around the inside of the plenum and into the valve areas, but found nothing amiss.

I think ABS will continue to be my go-to material.

-Kevin

·
Registered
594 Posts
A very nice investigative analysis and report. I feel sure you are correct that the ABS holds up just fine!

281 - 289 of 289 Posts