Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 3D printer a couple of months ago, and I've been making myself smart on how to use it. Today, I finished my first 3D printed Alfa part. The end cap was missing from my wiper lever, so I drew one up in a CAD program and printed it out in black ABS plastic. After some minor finish work, I have a black plastic end that matches the rest of the wiper stalk.

I have several projects in mind.

My next project is a retaining clip for the hood prop rod. I've seen one crappy photo of the original metal clip; I think I can design a better one. After that, the plastic housings for my rear license plate lighting needs some attention.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nice work.

If you want a challenge, how about a 2000 script badge for Giulia Supers that have been ungraded to 2L engines? The trick, I think, will be in matching the italicized script and getting a finished surface that will take chrome-like paint.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Very cool, that just might be the best tool of all. As far as I know there is no end to what these things can crank out.

Have fun with that new toy

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't think he's taking jobs guys,

If you really need some of these parts, make the CAD files yourselves and have it printed through shapeways.com (even in stainless steel/other materials)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3D printers are becoming more common, but aren't yet what I would consider a 'mainstream consumer' product. While they print acceptably right out of the box, they require some adjusting and tweaking to get really good results.

I'm still learning, so I'm starting with small projects. I figured making a few things I need in black ABS would be a good start. It's best if I have something that I can measure (either the object itself, or where the object fits) and make the CAD file.

I haven't tried anything like lenses yet. I'd have to buy some transparent red filament, and modeling all the interior facets in CAD would be a bit of a challenge for me at the moment.

I hear Shapeways is an excellent service...good idea. You'd have to be confident your object measurements and size was right...it would stink to pay them to make a part, then find it doesn't fit!

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I second the idea of the center brake light cover under the spoiler. I'm sure many are missing, barely hanging on, or been replaced by something else like black electrical tape. Mine is in the category of barely hanging on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you mean the license plate lights? My center brake light is IN my spoiler.

Post a photo of what you're talking about.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
3d printing ought to do that pesky cover easily, I'd have thought.
Last one on ebay (these photos from there) the guy was asking nearly 90 $....!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
3d printing ought to do that pesky cover easily, I'd have thought.
Last one on ebay (these photos from there) the guy was asking nearly 90 $....!
Not that I would spend that kind of money, can you post the link. I went to who I figured that would be, and don't see it there. Its one of those things of needing to search the right words to find something. Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I went out and looked at my Alfa...crap! I didn't even realize mine was missing!

I may try to model something in my CAD program.

1 - 20 of 289 Posts