Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still sorting out all kinda mysteries on the new car. I thought a 78 spider would be a "late model" and have the 22mm master cylinder. I can't find (yet) any stamping on the MC indicating bore size. just a "383060" stamping, which I assume to be a part number. Searches come up pretty much blank. one solitary hit with a question but no answer.

The car came with a bunch of used parts...including a rusty 20mm ATE master cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Spider
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car has a brake booster. 383060 master cylinder search gave me nothing on ebay.

I assumed my car had a 22mm unit but now I don't know what since what is obviously the old rusty unit in a box of random parts says "20".

the picture is what is currently on the car. I had to stick my phone under it to find a number. maybe there is another stamping elsewhere.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not replacing...the brakes work...well the MC works. the booster? I think it's dead. I have no power brakes.

I was just curious if it was a 20 or 22. If it ever does get replaced it will be a 22mm. I would prefer to rebuild if possible when that time comes...but if I have no clue what size it is or what make, ATE or other...well then that's kinda outta the question then as far as being able to source the correct rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
I'd guess such a number is an aftermarket casting number. Original ATE cylinders had "ATE" and the diameter cast into them, and usually were black. If you go wtih Centerline, Classic Alfa, whoever, of the right diameter one, you should be all set.
Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts