Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking for help on removing and repairing a power steering leak on my 1990 33 1.7 ti.I have owned this for 12 months and this is my first major problem with it. Is it a big job to do and are there any hints to help me?

I appreciate any help you can give!

Cheers
Mikey

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you know if the leak is coming from the rack itself or perhaps one of the hoses? If its the rack, I believe its hard to access. I'm not sure about the power assisted rack, but the non power assisted rack Im pretty sure can be removed from under the car when on a hoist, a bit fiddly but easier than dropping the whole engine, the engine and gearbox may have to be lowered down for better access.
Occasionally the power assisted racks eat themselves from the inside as the rack scores the casing, in which case a new or reconditioned rack might be the go, however they are never cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I am looking for help on removing and repairing a power steering leak on my 1990 33 1.7 ti.I have owned this for 12 months and this is my first major problem with it. Is it a big job to do and are there any hints to help me?

I appreciate any help you can give!

Cheers
Mikey
HI I meant to say it is the rack that is leaking. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Remove the drivers side strut and take the rack, after disconecting it from everything, out the hole where the steering arm comes through. Alot easier than dropping the engine. make sure you use new sealing washers on the hoses or else it will leak all over everything

·
Registered
238 Posts
same problem as you

Hi everyone!

I have the same problem with the power steering since 1 year. In the beginning wasn't so bad but now is leaking all over the gearbox when the car is on, and I keep filling the plastic deposit with hydraulic oil every 4-5 days.
I have been asking around and this problem seems not reparable as I never got a positive answer...!
And yes, it is an expensive item,...???!!!

Cheers
Elvis!

P.S. How much costs a fuel pump for my 33 Imola???

·
Registered
755 Posts
yes they are expensive to fix / replace. I think a 'reconditioned' rack (what does that really mean??:rolleyes::)) was $800 and a 'New' item was $1500 from memory.

Things to increase rack longevity are not to hold the steering wheel on full lock when parking and u-turning, always back it off slightly from the stops and never 'dry steer' which is steering without the car moving as this puts the rack under a lot more load than normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi, is it definitely the rack?, the alloy washers that seal the banjo connections to the rack from the hoses can corrode and cause a leak, easy and cheap to fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts