Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the possibilty to buy a nice 1994 16 valve 33.

When you stick the registration number in an insurance website it comes up saying it is a P4 so it was presumably registered with DVLA as such.

However the owner says it is not a P4.

It has Recaro seats and sunroof which would tie in with it being a P4 although the P4 badge is not there on the rear (it has been resprayed so could just not have been put back on).

Does anyone know if any other 16v models had the Recaro seats and sunroof ?
Is there any other way to tell for sure ??

Assuming it is a P4 and the owner does not realize I imagine it's likely the 4 wheel drive might have been disabled .. ie: drive to the rear wheels uncoupled.

Does anyone know how easy it is likely to be to convert back to 4x4 ?? .. I have had a couple of P4's before and love the handling you get even if you do lose a bit of power.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

If you give us the chassis number, it is very easy to conclude the type of this 33 with the help of e-Per...

Regards

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi..

The 1.7 QV has the recaro seats to, and the sunroof was an option (my P4 dont have it)

It could be that the 4x4 system is put out of function (someone took the fuse out or taped down a button) or its broken but then the 4x4 light is on all the time, and not seeing that is imposible if you drive the car..

I dont know if it is posible to drive witout the driveshaft to the rearwheels.. But if someone took that away, you have to find another P4 to get the parts, the viscouscoupling is hard as diamonds to find..

One easy way to tell if its a P4 or just a QV is to look from the right side.. If you can see the catalysator on that side its a P4, the QV has it in the middle.. (Its quite obvious that the P4 cant have it there, ther is a driveshaft in the way)

One more way is to look in the bottom part of the speedometer, if its a P4 ther should be an oval light ther that says 4x4 when you start the car, tha bulb could be out of function but you can see the outlines..

Pic of meters on a P4 http://www.mark.oglesby.co.uk/33p4dash.jpg Here you also see the wonderful Nardi steeringwheel that was fitted in the P4s and QVs..
Pic of non P4 http://alfisti.net/alfa-galerie/albums/userpics/21855/normal_102_0263__.jpg

But start with looking under the car for a driveshaft.. Thats the most obvious thing to do..

Do you have some pics of it, i think i can tell just from that (different height in the rear on the P4s than all other 33 nuevo..)

edit: Youre sure its a -94? Then i couldnt be a P4, they didnt produce them after -92.. (the late 92s ar not called P4 either, they are called Q4 and got the Q4 logo on the trunk..

·
Registered
518 Posts
It is possible to run quite happily with the 4x4 system disconnected. Usually the prop shaft is removed from the back of the viscous coupling back to the rear diff. My P4 came without the badging. The ease of returning it to 4x4 status depends on how and why it was decoupled, my guess is that the UJ's failed and the PO could not get them replaced on cost grounds, or maybe it is more serious, I had to run without the VC when I found the carrier bracket with a big split in it...... where abouts are your and the car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is possible to run quite happily with the 4x4 system disconnected. Usually the prop shaft is removed from the back of the viscous coupling back to the rear diff. My P4 came without the badging. The ease of returning it to 4x4 status depends on how and why it was decoupled, my guess is that the UJ's failed and the PO could not get them replaced on cost grounds, or maybe it is more serious, I had to run without the VC when I found the carrier bracket with a big split in it...... where abouts are your and the car?
Ohh.. Then i know.. Good to know if something happens to the shaft or VC..
Not that the milage on my VC is so high, I only use the 4x4 och gravel roads and when its snow (or under 5 celsius) outside.. Rest of the time my P4 is FWD..

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
No one that i know.. But im going to rip one apart in a couple of weeks, found on on the scrapyard thats being sent to me right now..
i will do a full story on it with pics and all..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts