Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 33 back from the paint shop after a long wait. Also found a local guy who used to race alfasuds to tune up the webers. The carbies and popping from the exhaust sounds even better now :)
Im in the process of getting quotes for shockies all round which is proving to be a little tricky as most idiots dont know anything about Alfa's! Ive been checking and monroe have part numbers for front and rear shockies. Just recently my car is pulling alot to the right and the steering has a wobble in it, im not sure if this is to do with my shockies that are screwed, but she used to track straight without any vibration or wobble from the steering wheel. Any suggestions? Hopefully with new shockies and alignment that should solve the problem?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Possibly wheel alignment causing the pull to the left. As for shocks, the Australian made replacements ie Monroe are a gas filled shocker whereas the originals are oil filled. Personally I dont like monroe stuff and it is rather expensive. Perhaps its worth going the Koni route for not that much more (about $350 to $400 a corner) You wont look back, and if one breaks, you can have it rebuilt...not just throw it away..a rather good investment me thinks!:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your definatley right about the Konis being worth it. We fitted monroes to our sprint and they were significantly worse than the 20yr old original dampers, in short unless you don't have another option don't bother.

Even better than the Konis would be Bilstiens but they are very hard to find and expensive but definatley worth it.

The original units are also good probably a nicer ride than Konis but again hard to find as NOS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your info ..... ive been looking more into the shocky situation. My alfa garage in perth recommended boge (german company that make sachs aswell) shockies for normal driving. Ive heard boge make original equipment shocks for alfa's. They are around $1000 supplied and fitted for all corners. Plus timing belts supplied and fitted for around $250. Ive had my alfa for over 2 years now and have never changed the timing belts so i better get them done even though i only do around 6000k's a year.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I haven't personally used any Bogue parts. I do know someone who installed Bogue shocks in his sud and was very happy with them.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Boge struts and rear shocks are OE on the 1.7L cars, Made in Germany and are very good. I think if its made in Germany you can be sure it will be good, either that or the Dutch Konis would be the go I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most of the older porsche 911s came with Boge as standard so must be pretty good
I have them on my 33-1.7 ti.
although they seem a little softer than I would like

1 - 7 of 7 Posts