Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the current issue of Sports Car Market they have an article on a 74 GTV that apparetnly sold on e-bay for $30K, yes $30K last November (I don't follow e-bay so this was news to me some of you may have already known about this). Car had 12K miles, was the original owner and had a couple of minor mods to it and fresh paint in 1985. Sounds like it may have been in Seattle (it was originally sold by Alfa of Tacoma).

Eric

·
Supporting Vendor
4,402 Posts
There was a thread about this car at that time, a search will probably find the discussion.

It was eBay item #4501430000. It was a strong price but inline with other sales of documented, original GTVs.

joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
And keep in mind it is not how much anything is worth that matters, it is how much somebody is willing to pay that really counts!

When I restored my GTV6 I went in knowing that I would have well more money that I could get out of it. I am still happy that I made the choice that I did.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The value in owning an Alfa is in the driving (i.e. completely subjective), but we all have to consider the budget, so I've been thinking about this...

Basically I can happily justify pouring money into restoring my car at the same rate a new car would depreciate, and still come out on top. For instance a couple of years ago I could have bought a new 147 or the 105 GTV that I did buy. I sold the GTV for the same amount that I paid, about two years later. After the same time the 147 would sell for at least $10K less than the new price. On that basis I could have happily spent $10K on the 105 and still been as well off (if not better, because I wouldn't have to finance a lump of money for the new car). Plus I had a lot more fun :D :D. So what seem like odd deals on the face of it can actually be quite sensible. For instance I saw a 105 GTV selling for A$22K (nice car), with A$35K worth of receipts (including the original purchase). Again, if that money was spent over a few years, it makes sense, but on the face of it it just sounds dumb. And I know this is right because it passed the spousal permission-to-spend-money test!:D

Last money-mention: my $0.02.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts