Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
What's the story on it? Are you the original owner? What does the engine compartment look like? Thanks-

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics added. Since the the pics were taken, I have replaced the valve cover. In fact, most aluminum replacement fi parts will come with the car. Notice how nice the cams look.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
For a 3K mile car it sure looks like a flood salvage. I spent a hair more than the original listed for this car and it was rust free and running, not without faults BUT the engine didnt need wire brushing.

Not trying to bash the car or seller, but this is a project car that will need some real work cause its been sitting. Brakes prob need going through, plastic will be brittle, and tires of course. 3,000 miles original (documented?) isn't a strong selling point here, in my opinion

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
Just looked at pics. Yikes. Either flood or long term storage in a bad place, without protection.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate your constructive criticism. The interior is excellent. I believe the car was not in a flood but not stored properly over the years. I believe it is price in the right ball park because it is very restorable and if the car was parted out it would prove financially viable. Eventually.

Dave

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
Dave,
No offense intended. The BB is a good place to sell such a car, but the level of awareness and expertise is fairly high.

As a data point for you...

I just bought (pre zombie apocalypse) a 77 Spider with 67k miles, from the son of the original owner. Stored for most of 20 years in a dry, temp-controlled garage, after years of dealer-only service.

It didn’t take anything expensive to get running, but due to age and idleness, I replaced tires, battery, some suspension stuff, etc. Interior was nice, as was top. Paint has buffed up beautifully.

There are detailing things to tend to, but I drive it daily, weather allowing.

I paid $3k for it. Most of us consider the Spica cars to be more valuable than the S3s, but that’s because of lower weight and trim subjectivity. The S3s can be very good cars, but they don’t seem to bring the same price as the other models.

Again, just a point of reference. I’m not in the market for another S3.

GLWS!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Very much agree Don.
The interior does look fantastic, but mechanic and exterior cosmetics do not scream diamond in the rough.
If it’s fully documented that it’s a 3,000 mile car and not an odo rollback (which is super easy, for those that are unaware) that is neat. But low miles and nice carpet won’t fetch the car a pretty penny...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was being nice boys. Why don't you two boys get off my add now and go green/red arrow DailyMail stories. Please!

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I was being nice boys. Why don't you two boys get off my add now and go green/red arrow DailyMail stories. Please!
The nice thing about ads here is the two boys don't have to go away.. Welcome to the real world. It's a salvage car period . take offers with cash in hand.. The Andrea Doria has cars for sale in better condition with NO miles on them... I'm not picking a fight .. just being honest. Scabard thy sword and ignore as you must. .. No reply necessary cuz you won't get one from here.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Looks like a decent enough Alfa to be restored with a general cleanup, general surface rust removal and treatment, special attention to the bottom of the sills, rhs at least (that one should be looked at), and replacement of a few items such as battery, tires, all fluids, rubber fuel lines, etc.

Don't understand the carping and trolling. If it sells, fine, if not, the price will fall till it does. If I didn't have too many cars now, according to the wife, lol, I'd look at it if it were in my area, as I've got the time and ability to do that sort of work, even at my age

BTW, not a complaint but just a comment, don't understand why sellers often do not clean the exterior up a little to make it look nicer prior to offering a car for sale, but maybe that's just me, lol. Yes, I am aware of the dangers of making a car for sale showroom pretty, as then it looks so good, you think twice about selling it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts