Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, not like he's asking to profit from it... On the contrary, he's just looking for someone that's equally as stupid as he and his wife for pouring this much money into a car that has a negligible value in the collector market and they aren't keeping.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do you think he would take half of that? :p

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Art was an artist alright...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
IIRC, Haig got $21K about 2 years ago for his very nice white Berlina. I'd say that he set the benchmark. Best of luck to this seller.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recently had several offers well above percieved market expectations
for my berlina here in Aus (car is not for sale) But a well sorted out car
in great condition that is rare should be close to this money as are good gtvs
guilias.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Looks like a very nice car in the pictures.
I guess

Painting it fire engine red, and substituting some silly vanity plate ("BELIZIMO" ?????) for the original blue plates doesn't seem like a way to preserve value. I respect an owner's right to personalize his own car, but when the time comes to sell, modifications like these do impact the price.

·
Registered
173 Posts
+1

I think I would have liked it better in olive green. :D I don't think repainting a freshly painted car or rebuilding a freshly rebuilt engine increases value. It just maintains an already high existing value. But what do I know... I liked the flames, wing and tiki shift knob Berlina! :D :D :D

~Chris

·
Administrator
14,505 Posts
I guess

Painting it fire engine red, and substituting some silly vanity plate ("BELIZIMO" ?????) for the original blue plates doesn't seem like a way to preserve value. I respect an owner's right to personalize his own car, but when the time comes to sell, modifications like these do impact the price.
Red was apparently this cars original colour ...
the ad said:
When all this as finished, the previous owner decided to give it a fresh paint job. This car came from the factory in RED, however he decided to change it to AR213 OLIVA Metallizatto (Olive Green Metallic) - an interesting choice.
So the only thing not original is the leather interior.
desmo veloce said:
I think I would have liked it better in olive green. I don't think repainting a freshly painted car or rebuilding a freshly rebuilt engine increases value. It just maintains an already high existing value. But what do I know... I liked the flames, wing and tiki shift knob Berlina!
If you read the ad you will have read the car was lightly rear ended and thus while fixing this they decided to return the car to it's original colour. Oh and the freshly rebuilt engine seazed and thus needed to be rebuilt again, this time properly.

I can't criticize the current owner. I doubt he will get the money he is asking, but he has bought this car up to pretty much perfect standard.
Pete

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am not commenting on the value. It looks like a nice enough car - so it's nice to know there is another one there that is in good shape - even if it is not original. I suspect it will be hard to realize the asking price - but the car looks nice enough.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Was this the metallic green car in Pasadena being offered for sale @ $14k last year? If so, surprised to hear that both the engine and tranny needed rebuilding. Glad I dodged a $16k repair bill...When it comes to price, all it takes is one buyer. Best of luck.

·
Administrator
14,505 Posts
I am not commenting on the value. It looks like a nice enough car - so it's nice to know there is another one there that is in good shape - even if it is not original. I suspect it will be hard to realize the asking price - but the car looks nice enough.
Again, because nobody appears to have actually read the ad. The car was returned to it's original colour of red. You can't do that without painting the car ...

The only modification is the leather interior.
Pete

·
Registered
173 Posts
PSK-

I am not criticizing the owners choice to repair the accident damage or the seized engine. When my cars break, I fix them too. I even upgrade them. Going back to the original color could even be argued if you prefer red. Rebuilding the transmission just for fun... not so much. All of this is fine. We should all spend our money on whatever gives us joy.

The difference is that I know I will not get the money back when I sell (if I sell). I hope this passionate Alfa owner finds a buyer who thinks like he does and see the value in these improvements. Maybe I am a Philistine, but I would rather start with an ugly Berlina that needs a home and spend that same $30K making it right. There is nothing wrong with asking $30K, but I am not the buyer for this car! I really do hope his buyer exists.

~Chris

·
Administrator
14,505 Posts
Agree Chris, and I doubt he will get his asking price.

The funny thing is, I'm like you and would rather buy something rough and make it right (heck my GTV restoration is a perfect example), but I honestly believe the people who save money are the ones that buy a car that somebody else has done or the hard work on ... even if that means you have to spend top dollar. Plus the person who buys this car will be zooming around straight away while we are under our cars fixing things ;).

The problem is I'm not a saver and thus will never have that sum of money sitting around.
Pete

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pete-

Me too regarding piles of money just laying around. :D Also, I have read enough of your posts to know that you would not be happy with 99% of the cars that someone else had restored. You have very high standards.

I also enjoy fixing cars as well as driving them. This is why you need several Alfas!

Also, too save all that money by buying someone else's car, you can't spend $30K! The only way that would make sense is if you would have made every choice exactly the same as the seller. For me, the chances of that happening are nil. The cars that I would want completely original (33 Stradale? TZ2? Canguro?) are not even remotely possible financially. So I will have fun building and driving what I like and not worry about reselling them.

Keep up the good work on your GTV!

~Chris

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,938 Posts
Experience has told me it costs more than most think to restore a car-any car, plus the time factor-it always takes longer than you think it will. I defy anyone to restore to the same specifications and standard for less unless they do EVERYTHING themselves, and even then tallying all costs up I`d wager there wouldn`t be a huge difference between actual costs and the asking price of this car.
Sure Berlinas aren`t the most covetted Alfa Romeo but there is the value there if you wish to own an immaculate example. Trouble is most Berlina buyers haven`t got this kind of money and/or are potterers who prefer to do a lot themselves so having someone elses restoration isn`t that attractive. Very small market in reality for this model at this value but who knows? I hope he gets the $28k he is now asking for it. We should wish him good luck not petty criticise.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I know from my own experience restoring my Berlina, so far $35,000 I have spent to bring it to as close as original (with everything new NOS)

If you are restoring a Ferrari or a Yugo it does not matter when it comes to body work you will end up with the same cost pretty much.

Mine will stay for life because of my childhood memories.

Yes of course no one will pay me $35,000 but I did not do it for that, and I am sure its one of the best Berlina's out there.

I wish the seller the very best luck. I would never go through with a restoration process again, finding parts, aggravation, and time which took almost 3 years.

Again Berlina's like mine are so unique it was published in Auto Italia magazine issue #184 page 79.

Giorgio

·
Premium Member
23,011 Posts
I know the history of this car, and even at this price, I don't think he's coming out much ahead considering purchase, repair, and restoration costs. That doesn't mean the car is worth that much. It'll be interesting to see what happens. My tiny involvement on this was selling them an interior door handle.
Not sure it was worth the trouble, but to each his own. I'm not one to talk; I've been guilty of taking on plenty of projects that were a ton of work and resulted in no particular gain afterward.
Andrew

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,938 Posts
I think all of us that have seriously restored a car can see the value in his car. The interesting thing will be whether the market recognise that and put their dollars down for it. I`ve a theory about Berlina owners though - most haven`t got the money -$28-$30K regardless of what currency is a lot of money anyway and to pay it in one lump sum is beyond most, besides if any buyer had that sum at hand they would really have to be into saloons as against other "more glamorous" models to even consider it. Alfa cognescenti only I suspect, after all you have to have had extensive experience with Alfas to know how good the 4 door versions are-sort of like an Alfa secret only known by a few.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts