Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the X-post, but somebody here put me in a very bad position and now I am in a bit of a pickle and need to do something fast!

I am in a situation where some ****head ordered 3 gearboxes from me and has failed to perform! And so, I have 3 of these beauties for sale - complete with shift-linkages, shifters etc. There are some good details about my project next door here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/30011-6-speed-3-45-litre-164-ls-conversion-anybody.html

I have one of the 3.5:1 long-ratio 6-speeds from the slant-nose European GTV/Spider cars, one more 3.7:1 ratio 6-speed from a GTA (just like mine) and then one 3.9:1 ratio 6-speed from the V6 156... All three are VERY low miles (all below 50K miles) and one is even only at 15K miles! All have been inspected and are ready to go.

On my own conversion I am waiting on some different cams and lifters for my 3.45 litre 24 valve 6-speed conversion, but during what little bit I drove the car around, the 6-speed 156 gearbox-conversion appears to be a great success!

All 7 gears engaged properly, the shifter position is excellent and the cable action of the 156 gearbox is flawless! Keep in mind that my car was even an automatic that I first had to convert over to manual, in addition to the engine-swap and then in addition to the 6-speed conversion, so mine is still a work in progress!

I am very confident though that this is a very viable upgrade for a tired 5-speed or a lack-luster automatic 164! The gearbox does not install itself and it does require one custom (but simple) bracket between the rear of the new (shorter) 6-speed tranny and the 164 sub-frame. Other than this, it all goes right in - bolts right up to the 12 valve or to a 24 valve block!

It also uses a stock 164 clutch.

Shipping to the US will be shared between the 3 boxes. Please contact me off-forum via [email protected] or buzz me at 425.941.4747 and we can get a deal done! Now would be the time to take advantage of a really tough situation!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Hello,

Just a couple of questions (I am planning to remove the engine/transmission from my '91 164 next month, and the gearbox is a bit 'tired' to use your words - shift is 'knobbly')

Speedometer drive - is it there? Or does one have to make up a driveshaft sender (magnets/sensor/circuit). I seem to recall this conversation before and wanted to check if it applied to these gearboxes.

"stock 164 clutch" - which one, 12V or 24V?

Final question - any chance of a ballpark indication of price and the possibility of shipping to New Zealand? If you don't want to disclose in the forum, perhaps you could PM me please :) I just thought I'd save you answering the above questions several times over.

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Alex. Yeah - trying to keep money conversations to a minimum as far as possible due to the "commercial interest" *****ing an moaning...

Email me via [email protected] please.

As far as shipping- I can send one directly to you from SA - no problem.

The speedometer is one aspect that I would still need to attack. There are several plausible solutions that have been presented, I just have to get there - like I said - still trying to sort some other aspects related to the motor...

On my 24 valve 1995 164 LS (Super), we used a standard 164 LS clutch. I think that you would likely use the same - even on a older 12 valve - the 164 "S" type (QV to you guys...) All of these gearboxes use the newer style clutch, but those work juts fine on your car once you have the new gearbox on there.

Email me for a dollar conversation.

·
Registered
549 Posts
A couple questions (which I thought others might be interested in, so I'll reply here)....

1) I'm still not clear on the clutch - is it like the 12V B/L type or the S type?

2) Are the 1-6 ratios all the same, and it's only the final drive ratio that changes between each of the three boxes? Regardless, do you have the 1-6 gear ratios?

3) Can you, Andrew, or whomever fabricate another of the brackets?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, correct - it uses the 24 valve clutch (which is like the 12 valve "S" type clutch...)

The bracket is simple (once you see it.) Jason Miller from Miller's Mule in Texas (a member here - who also did mine), can fab one up for you! He had to make several trips back and forth since my car was at Andrew's and not at Jason's shop. Anybody with a welder and a drill-press can make it though.

I have to still modify mine a bit (since it was just a rough-in 1st version...) While mine is out though, we can make some more here that fit correctly as well, or just ask Jason to make one for ya! He is making one now for his car too (he bought box number 2 and now I have boxes 3-5 for sale.)

It would be nice to have some CNC aluminium pieces for these conversions eventually, but that would be overkill if you ask me - purely aesthetics!

The ratios vary a bit from box to box if I recall, but I don't have good information at my finger-tips right now. An internet search on the spec sheets for each of those cars should give us the answers pretty easily.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick Update:

I have verbal commitments on two of the three gearboxes!

Looks like the 3.7:1 GTA box is still available! Feel free to ask though, as I have not yet received any deposits and may end up needing backup offers - who knows!?

I can alsways hunt and get more if need be, so NOBODY will be left out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts