Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need an air bleeder spigot and the lower outlet nipple for the 67 duetto intake manifold. Right now I have one of the holes plugged with a switch which actuates an electric fan for the radiator (now gone) and the air bleeder is just plugged. You can see on the rear back of the intake manifold the air bleeder is capped off, and below that the BMW electric fan switch I adapted for the electric fan. I don't think the present bypass outlet is an original style either, but works for now.

No rush, these will turn up eventually, but I'd like to get the car back to close to original. Any help would be appreciated.

Wes

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,440 Posts
The brass bleed screw (top one in your pic) is still available new. I just bought one from Alfa Parts in Berkeley.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Bypass Hose

If you are not running a heater get rid of the bypass hose and cap the two nipples. Running the hose with out the heater has some of the coolant bypassing the radiator so you're just cycling the coolant with out cooling it.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wes;

I am putting the car back together and the heater needed restoring so I bypassed the interior heater for a while. Now I'm putting it back in the system along with the renewed rubber in the engine bay.

On your point though, about capping off the outlets, without the bypass hose, aren't you putting a lot on pressure of the water pump until the thermostat opens up? I always thought that the bypass hose was to offload pressure until the thermostat heated and opened up to prevent too much pressure on the cylinder head gasketing and everything else that might leak.

I'm trying to put the car back together as close to original as reasonable. Even in Novato I'd think you'd need a heater to at least get the defrost of the interior every once in a while. You especially need a heater in Puget Sound.

Thanks,
Wes

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hose barbs

Gubi;

I called and talked to Jon Norman and says he probably has the air bleeder for $15 but his computer was off until Monday.

Thx

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Wes;

I am putting the car back together and the heater needed restoring so I bypassed the interior heater for a while. Now I'm putting it back in the system along with the renewed rubber in the engine bay.

On your point though, about capping off the outlets, without the bypass hose, aren't you putting a lot on pressure of the water pump until the thermostat opens up? I always thought that the bypass hose was to offload pressure until the thermostat heated and opened up to prevent too much pressure on the cylinder head gasketing and everything else that might leak.

I'm trying to put the car back together as close to original as reasonable. Even in Novato I'd think you'd need a heater to at least get the defrost of the interior every once in a while. You especially need a heater in Puget Sound.

Thanks,
Wes
When the system is stock and has a heater valve when the valve is closed there is no coolant flowing through the heater so you would have the same pressure. Also the max pressure the system sees is limited by the radiator cap which should be around 14 PSI.
On the Alfa racecars I'm involved with that don't run a heater we always cap those fittings and have never had a head gasket problem that was related to how the engine warmed up.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wes

Thank you for your advice.

Do you have any male barbs for my intake manifold in your pile of parts?

Thanks,
Wes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts