Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 105 63 Giulia Ti at the moment, all is finished but have to adjust the front brakes I think

I don't have a lot of experience with these brakes so some advice could help

All brakeparts are new but the car is pulling to the left when braking, also left front drum is getting warmer then the rest of the drums, it also brakes a bit earlier then the right one

I have put some chalk on the brakeshoes to see were the shoe's touch the drum but both sides are the same

Also saw that on the backing plate there are some screws to adjust the shoe's but have not touched these yet because I don't really know what they do

·
Administrator
4,186 Posts
Hallo Giulia Bianca

I've sent you a private message to contact me for a brake set up document I wrote ages ago. I'll walk you through the adjustment process. If anyone else wants a copy, please PM me & I'll send it to you.

For the lurkers, 3 leading shoes are not the mystery everyone makes them out to be, the secret is in understanding that the shoes are 'fully floating' and that an adjustment on one shoe affects the other two shoes so at each adjustment the shoes need to be centred again so that the adjustment only affects that particular shoe, or else by the time you have adjusted all 3 shoes the adjustment of the 1st has affected the 2nd & 3rd shoes, adjusting the 2nd shoe then affects the 3rd and the 1st shoes (now times 2) and by the time you have made three or four rounds of adjustments on each shoe the error's are compounded and you end up with the shoes all wrestling with each other in the drum.....

The screws at the back of the drums / backing plates centre the shoes in the drums, same as the 2 leading shoe set-up.

FWIW The first of the 105 Series Ti's used the 3 leading shoe brakes of the Giulietta Sprint Speciale's & all parts are 10120. My '63 was also like this & the rear axle is a 105 item but with standard Giulietta radially finned rear drums in place of the SS helical finned rear drums

Hartelyke groeten uit Zuid Afrika
Greig

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Hi Giulia Bianca,

Exept that working the adjusting screws on the backing plate is a must, make also sure you have new or at least fresh brake hoses (those out of rubber) on the car as well, if not, you will be adjusting to doomsday with no avail. This is imperative !!!! Rubber inside old brake hoses expands with age, in this case differently in each hose and thus hinders even flow of brake fluid to the brake cylinders = uneven brake effect.

Dennis

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello Dennis, thanks for your reply !!
That was my first idea also, I already changed the flexible brakelines

Greig, Thank you for your very helpful adjusting instructions !!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
AlfistiSA "FWIW The first of the 105 Series Ti's used the 3 leading shoe brakes of the Giulietta Sprint Speciale's & all parts are 10120. My '63 was also like this & the rear axle is a 105 item but with standard Giulietta radially finned rear drums in place of the SS helical finned rear drums"

I also have radially finned rear drums but the parts book knows that some cars have helical finned rear drums. If I remember correct they were TI Supers but it was a option to TI´s too.

-AS

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 shoe brake Giulia TI 1963

Hallo Giulia Bianca

I've sent you a private message to contact me for a brake set up document I wrote ages ago. I'll walk you through the adjustment process. If anyone else wants a copy, please PM me & I'll send it to you.

For the lurkers, 3 leading shoes are not the mystery everyone makes them out to be, the secret is in understanding that the shoes are 'fully floating' and that an adjustment on one shoe affects the other two shoes so at each adjustment the shoes need to be centred again so that the adjustment only affects that particular shoe, or else by the time you have adjusted all 3 shoes the adjustment of the 1st has affected the 2nd & 3rd shoes, adjusting the 2nd shoe then affects the 3rd and the 1st shoes (now times 2) and by the time you have made three or four rounds of adjustments on each shoe the error's are compounded and you end up with the shoes all wrestling with each other in the drum.....

The screws at the back of the drums / backing plates centre the shoes in the drums, same as the 2 leading shoe set-up.

FWIW The first of the 105 Series Ti's used the 3 leading shoe brakes of the Giulietta Sprint Speciale's & all parts are 10120. My '63 was also like this & the rear axle is a 105 item but with standard Giulietta radially finned rear drums in place of the SS helical finned rear drums

Hartelyke groeten uit Zuid Afrika
Greig
Hallo Greig,

Misschien kun je nederlands lezen, zo niet dan stuur ik je een engelse versie.

Kun je me ook de afstelgegevens voor de trommelremmen sturen van de Giulia TI 1963 (a brake set up document for 3 shoe brake system Giulia TI 1963) ?
Zie je reaktie van 5 febr 2011.

Hartelijk dank voor je reaktie.

Ciao

Wim
Netherland

·
Administrator
4,186 Posts
Hallo Wim

Ja ik kan het Nederlands lees, mijn tweede tall is Afrikaans - een sort 'Baba Nederlands'

Ik het een "Private Message" gestuur

Groetjies
Greig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts