Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Today when we were driving our 164, the transmission selector level got stuck at 3rd gear position. And we can`t switch it to any other gear. The clutch itself seems to be working - when the clutch pedal is pressed - engine is disconnected from the wheels, and we were able to drive 40 km on that third gear. But how do we repair it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Manual cars usually have some type of pin inside the gear box. Maybe your pin broke?? Are you hearing any noises or smells when trying to move the clutch around? How many miles are on your clutch may be something to check as well.

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
Hi!

Today when we were driving our 164, the transmission selector level got stuck at 3rd gear position. And we can`t switch it to any other gear. The clutch itself seems to be working - when the clutch pedal is pressed - engine is disconnected from the wheels, and we were able to drive 40 km on that third gear. But how do we repair it?
Does shifter lever move or is it frozen in 3rd, too?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shifter lever can be pulled a little towards the 4-th position, and, when engine is running, it sounds like the 4th gear is trying to activate (but 3rd is still active so I hear crackling sound), but I can`t move the lever to the left or right - to 1, 2 and 5, R gears

·
1991 164L
27,781 Posts
The shifter lever can be pulled a little towards the 4-th position, and, when engine is running, it sounds like the 4th gear is trying to activate (but 3rd is still active so I hear crackling sound), but I can`t move the lever to the left or right - to 1, 2 and 5, R gears
It sounds like an internal issue with 3-4 slider and 3rd gear syncro ring.

Plan on a tranny pull in your future.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
When you tear down the trans, make sure you have all three safety pawls. If the small one going through the 3/4 shift rod is missing, this can happen. Mine was torn down by a previous mechanic and did basically what yours is doing because this safety pawl was not reinstalled. Badly stuck in third. Once the part was put back in, everything has worked perfectly ever since.
Charles

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
You could try one thing. See that plug at the top of the trans facing the front of the car? Shoot some trans fluid into that opening once the plug is removed. It is the hole used to insert the safety pawls into the trans when building it. Dexron or gear oil (whichever you are using in this trans) could help to free up at least the one safety pawl and allow it to free up. Still wont fix the fact that the safety pawl I mentioned maybe missing. But may confirm a safety pawl issue. The pawls are there to prevent the trans from selecting two gears at once, but without that small one that goes through the 3/4 shift rod the 5/rev safety pawl and 1/2 safety pawl cannot push each other back and forth. The 3/4 pawl (really a small pin) acts upon the other two. Hard to explain but a lack of oil on those pawls can really hold things up if the pawl is missing and dry.
Charles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts