Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to all who were following the original thread started by JJ. The engine finally came, but f'n customs really know how to "MAKE MONEY". either way its here, i just got the engine into the car, alfter collecting all the little pieces that were missing before it went into its new home.

Caught on a few snags atm, i bought new engine mounts (the rubber one's), but the farkers are too tall, so the engine isnt sitting in the right place. that should be sorted by next week with the right sized ones.

What i need to know form my fellow alfisti, IS whats a good replacement for the standard brake booster (keeping in mind, im in australia, and brake masters are out becuase of the complexity). Right now the bosster sits right over the left hand head. I need to know if there is a shorter item i can exchange it with. ive seen it done in some pics of other rides but im not sure of make/model etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Guys
Heres some early day pics for you'al :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Looks good! How tall is too tall on the mounts?

Just an option, the american hotrods places (Summit Racing and Jegs) should have some options for the booster due to the low vacuum of the big cam V8's. I have heard them talked about, but never really looked into them. I know you have some big low vacuum V8's down there too, so check out some hot rod shops.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Options.

Glad to see you're making progress. Is it that you're having trouble clearing the booster? If so, the smaller/lower engine mounts will help by lowering the engine no? This should give you more room between the booster and the head. Plus allowing more room for whatever intake system you decide to go with.

As far as dual masters are concerned, it's not that complicated. You just need someone to help sort out the size you need to work with your overall piston/rotor/pedal set-up. Speaking with Martin at Girodisc would be a good option. He did my entire set-up on the DEMON. Simple and effective.

I guess it just depends on how madd you want your ride!! IMO, If you're gonna drive it hard, a brake upgrade should be in your near future.

streetfame

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CHeers guys, well samw. as for the mounts it might seem negligable but the difference is only 4mm. but the 4mm on each side lifts it by a considerable amount.

Also i did initially have a problem clearing the booster, so i loosened it and i was able to wedge the engine in front underneath the pain. (ive done all work on my own, including putting in the engine) but with the new mounts it shoud lower the whole thing by a few mm. but not all that much.

I already have a brake upgrade in the pipeline. That was already on the go before i finalize the engine from JJ and Dawie.
I'll be running 4spot Brembo calipers clamping on 305mm Grooved (2000+ GTV6 3.2ltr) Rotors. I had to modify the rotor to accept the 75 /milano hub and make a backing plate to accept the studs. Sounds like alot but it was fairly strauight forward. all thats left to this, is to design and manufacture some caliper mounts. again im doing this all on my own.

To top things off i have to shorten the trumpets by abbout 40mm because the trumpet behind the brake fluid reservoir touches it. and when its time for the filter sock to go on, might get a bit messy.
FARK.... all the things i gotta do... not as easy and quick as i'd hoped for. O'well 'Such is the life of an Alfisti'

Cheers Lads

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bob, i recently upgraded to 330 brembo's on my GTA. I still have the 305 kit if your interested. Engine looks fantastic.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Hey Bob!Glad that you're moving forward.... Just do an Alfetta pedal box with an Alfetta or Spider booster! It all bolts right on! Also, the Ate booster from some of the mid-' 80s 3-series E30 BMWs also has the same bolt-patern...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer anthony;), but its all sorted acutally are your calipers radial mount or tab mounts?

Thanks for the input John:), ill have to have a look around. I dont know about the alfetta pedal box:(, as im a right hand driver. the whole system is totally different than the left hnd drive car. but ill talk to my alfa wrecker freind of mine and see what he says. do yo think that the booster would handle the bigger brakes?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey JJ, i completely forgot to ask about which plugs i need... whem im hunting for a set for which engine to i get them for?? GTA Spec plugs or for the 164 3.0ltr??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, see how you bolt it on, they are called (well loosely anyway) "ear tabs" because the look like a "ear lobe"...? yea anyway, i have radial mounts, which is a mono block caliper that has a seperate bracket that bolts onto the hub itself, and then you bolt it or i should say you bolt the caliper onto that. Thats all i need to do for the moment on the brakes besides the booster.

What brake setup are you running on you car now anthony? Still running the brembo's?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Is this car for Road legal or for track? If you are aiming for the track, why not getting some serious brakes and dropping the booster? Space problem solved and you also have brakes to match the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to be ABLE to do that Gabor, but its a "trackable" street car. It needs to have a booster for the street regs so i can register it for road use.

Yea thats it bazza, radial mounts are the way to go. what car are they for?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Duh - that's correct - RHD... Nah - just change the booster as a shorter path and you're good. I like the individual masters idea better though...

A standard 24 valve plug for a 164 LS/Super/Q or a 156 GTA or 147 GTA would be fine. NGK R 8 or 9 even better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts