Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hallo all,
I was looking for pieces to make a gtam replica engine for a friend's gt2000, but prices are really high, next to prohibitive, like 13000 euros only for a head.
So, we were discussing about a "crazy" transplant, using a V6 coming from a 147 gta.

I'm wondering if anyone tried this transplant yet and have any suggestion.

many thanks guys

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot:
I know that the v6-engine-to-105/115-chassis swap has been discussed many times here in the forum, but I haven't found any topic related to the 24v versions.

Specifically, my principal doubts are for the dimensione of the heads (will they fit under the bonnet?) and the coupling flange with the gearbox (is it the same of the RWD V6s?).

thanks again

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Well, look up Larry Jr.s custom bell-housing that he developed to bolt a 12v V6 up to his stock 5-speed 105/115 tranny - same bolt-pattern...

Just get one of his bell-housings and stick that thing in there!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks junglejustice, your advice is ecouraging.

I have already written to Larry, I'm waiting for his answer about adaptability of his 12v headers and the rest of his kit.
the last info needed before buying the egine (with FI and all) is the REAL possibility to install it in the 115 coupe engine bay. I see you are an expert of 24v engines: do you have any idea of how much taller and larger than 12v is it?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
So far - for many others around the globe - if the 12v fits, the 24v fits (155 front and rear-engine conversions, Milano/75, GTV6 / Alfetta, 164, Stratos, Tiga, Vertigo, Ultima etc.

You won't have any problems with the 24v installation (beyond that of fitting a 12v...)!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excuse me, I need to be sure to undestand:

did you say that the 24v would fit the cars you mentioned?

Because I have to put it in a 105/115 bay, that is far narrower from Milano or 164 bay...

If instead I understood well (it will fit), do you have any link to a website or something similar?

many thanks again

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if anybody have measured 12v and 24v engines and can make a comparison of sizes (height and width), this will be appreciated, I don't have this possibility.

I found an egine at 3400 euros with all the ancillaires, but I need to have this infos BEFORE buying it :rolleyes:

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
674 Posts
Headers are different for 24V's and some booster issues with hanging pedal cars, I am putting a 24V in a Jr. Z for a friend, floor pedal car, My Bell housing, motor mounts, pan and pickup, etc. all the same.

Larry
Alfa Parts Exchange

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
p.s.

of course, if you feel that your answer can be useful to other alfabb members, you can reply in the forum

·
Registered
70 Posts
so will the 3.2 match up with a 164 transmission? I have always had that idea of buy a motor from the UK and having it shipped.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
so will the 3.2 match up with a 164 transmission? I have always had that idea of buy a motor from the UK and having it shipped.
Yes it does! We have retrofitted all three different types of 156, 147 (and newer generation flat-nose Spider and Spider convertible) gearboxes to 164 Super engines.

We have also fitted older generation 12 valve Milano / 75 and GTV6 tail-housings to the newer generation 156 blocks in transaxle engine-bays, so the logic goes both ways in theory and in practice!

By the way, anybody here have a spare 3.2 litre engine and / or crank for sale? please email me via [email protected]

·
Registered
271 Posts
The problems i have encountered so far with my conversion...

Thermostat - on the newer GTA engines the thermostat is at the back of the engine unlike the 164L 24V engines, so plumbing for coolant will have to be routed to the back of the engine...

Sump - The sump on the newer GTA's is completely different from the old 164L 24V engines, the newer GTA engines have a different and bigger oil pump. The oil pick up position is also different as the sump is deepest in the centre so this cannot clear the crossmember on the 105's which is what i am looking at now. After various discussions, it's now looking like i might have to consider a dry sump set up... $$$$$$ ouch!! The other thing with going dry sump is that there is not much space to put the oil catch tank in the engine bay, as the stock GTA motor takes 6.9 litres of engine oil. I considered putting the catch tank in the boot of my GTV but then i thought i might also have to look at the oil volumes in the lines to the motor, supply and return and look at the pressure from the dry sump pump, to make sure that it compensates for the extra distance. Look i'm no technical expert, but just what i was thinking..

Wiring - The tight budget best way to go for the GTA engines with stock Alfa ECU's and harnesses is to use the harness from the 99 3.0 GTV 24V, this is manual and has the same diameter as the GTA one. This ecu can also be chipped and Unichipped afterwards.. for perfect settings, otherwise if i have more bucks then i will consider Gotech (Glenwood) or Omex (Adrian Hawkins Motorsport - ahm)

The engine pics attached i have found in other threads... the one with the dry sump is a Dawie DeVilliers engine and the other is built by Barry Henning also in South Africa... look at the thermostat at the front of both the engines, and also look at the tensioner... these are completely different from the thermostat and the tensioner on the newer 24V engines...

This is where i am stuck now with my build so anyone with ideas are welcome....

The solved problems so far... Bellhousing, Clutch Kit available from Alfa Parts Exchange.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
how is your project doing?
i've had some pictures here to make the old type sump on the gta engine without changing everything..
i have no more information but the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Have you read this thread ?

I just love this pic :D

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
J.J.:

By this time you must have the GTV6 2,5 sump modified to fit the chain driven oil pump, as an accessory on the shelf ready for order? For use in the transaxle?

I am asking just in case you have, or else I am going to do the mod myself.

G.K.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts