Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I, in near future, I will be changing the timing belt and water pump on my Verde. While I'm at it, I would like to change a slightly leaky front crank seal. I have the Alfa tool for locking the flywheel to the bell housing. Does anybody have any good advice for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If you have trouble with the big nut for the front crank (do you have the socket yet?), use the starter to loosen it up, but take the flywheel lock off first.:D

Not too bad to do, are you planning on replacing the cam seals and o-rings while you have the t-belt off? There are some special tools for taking the cam gears off the cams to get ot the seals, if you have them it is a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if we have the right socket at the shop. Do you know the size? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I can check when I get home, I am sure someone has the metric and standard size posted somewhere on here...

·
1991 164L
27,870 Posts
41mm aka 1 5/8" socket

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you dont have to change it, dont. The problem is that you are supposed to remove the engine and remove the upper oil pan, then take the front cover off and swap the seals, and put it all back together again. I replaced the seal on mine (without pulling the engine), and the front cover leaked quite a bit around the bottom and still got the timing belt oily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts