Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all at AlfaBB

I am seriosly considering converting my 75 3.0 America to 3.0 24V engine. The idea is to do it with a 164s engine (211 hp) because then it would be possible to pass the swedish vehicle inspection with swapped engine and drive it totally legal on the streets :D. More horse means other rules so I wont go into that!
Current rules state You have to use donorcars injection and ignition, so aftermarketsystems is not an option.

I have seached the web quite alot and have found many excellent projectThreads about it on AlfaBB and other Alfasites. Technically/ what to rebuild and reuse, I am quite confident I will handle. But I am a bit puzzled with the electronics:confused:...
That is where I am going with this post!

I have found a suitable donor just some miles from my home(!!!), but the owner mentioned trouble with the immobilizer. That scares me a bit!

Is it a prooven fact that immoproblems are seldom cured when doing a engineswap?
Or is it almost always cured??

Better still, is it possible to disable the immo when doing the engineswap or does the electronics need reprogramming or whatnot for the immo being disabled?

Is another sollution to transplant the ignitionkey and ignitionlock from the 164 or is it doomed to fail?

(As I mentioned above, I have to keep the ignition/injection to pass the vehicle inspection, no aftermarket system is allowed.)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
the trick would ultimatly be to get around the imobilizer on the car its currently in BEFORE swapping it all...in theory you could hide a modern ecu in the guts of the old brain and they wouldnt be the wiser.....

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used a 24v V6 from a 164 in my Alfasud Sprint 6C project and just used the ECU from the 164 to control the ignition and fuel injection. There didn't seem to be an immobiliser function. But make sure you clearly label ALL the plugs and wires from the engine bay looms from the donor 164.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
useualy an imobilizer is something someone ADDS AFTERMARKET with an alarm system...you just need to figure out where it got HACKED AND SPLICED in..generaly its spliced on the fuel pump or primary power to the ecu but ive seen them splice on just about anything

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
useualy an imobilizer is something someone ADDS AFTERMARKET with an alarm system...you just need to figure out where it got HACKED AND SPLICED in..generaly its spliced on the fuel pump or primary power to the ecu but ive seen them splice on just about anything
Nope! Not in Europe, it is merged with the rest of engineharness... even has special key with somekind of 'chip', which triggers a reciever in the ignition lock, which signals the CPU, and so on...

Do not know, but think this immosystem was introduced same year as 3.0/24V engine in europe...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
oh crap..ive delt with those on nissans............lets just say the only fix was to get the car to nissan for them to hook up and re-encode the key

i promise you there is a way to fully dissable it...just not sure what that would be without seing a full diagram....but you could get it fixed and use the ignition from the car with the chipped key

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There's a guy in Belgium who can "de-code" the alfa ecus - I contacted Squadra and they gave me the details of the guy, but i never really followed it up because I decided not to go ahead with the conversion in my case.
The other option is put the key and key barrel/reciever in the car somewhere under the dash permanently - the alfa system uses a transponder in the ignition key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts