Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an ongoing problem with my 159 JTS that no mechanic has yet been able to fix. I am petrified each time I drive the car in case I have an accident with my kids in the car. As I have been driving, I have been experiencing the following: once in 2nd gear, it skips 3rd gear, goes straight to 4th gear then goes into Neutral! I have had two different mechanics look at the problem. The 1st one tried changing clutch oil(?) (excuse my ignorance but I know even less about cars than my husband does). COntinues having the same problem The 2nd mechanic did the same thing, had the car for over 6 weeks, ran diagnostic tests on it and could not detect any faults. AS sson as I got the car back, I had the same problem. The mechanic has offered to look at it again to do more tests but I am starting to think that they are baffled by this situation.

I get a message saying 'HAve gearbox checked' but the mechanics keep telling me they cannot find anything wrong with the gear box.

I am despertately trying to find out some information online that may be able to shed some light on this problem. I cannot take this stress anymore!

·
Premium Member
26,899 Posts
Don't have a clue to help you but can you use the paddles on steering wheel to shift manually and keep it out of neutral?

I can select manual M with shift handle on our Chevy Malibu 6-speed and control shift points with paddles. It is not selespeed but in D shifts automatically and in M you have to use paddles.

We have to suffer through here with 25 year old 164 models. I like the looks of a 159 though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think in my panic I have tried the paddles to get back into gear but the only thing that has worked is switching the engine off and starting it up again after a few minutes. In could be right for a few days, then all of a sudden the gears slip again...
159 may look good -really good BUT it has caused me more stress than it's worth!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts