Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry about the title but I just finished watching Treasures of the Sierra Madre) I have replaced my lubricant with redline synthetic gear oil and it has made little difference. It still doesn't shift easily and will grind if I wind up first gear at all. What can I expect to pay to have someone replace the syncro? I though I may as well replace the clutch while they have the tranny out as it is catching pretty high. Also the tranny is leaking from somewhere up around the shifter. I don't know what it looks like up there but I am willing to bet it isn't pretty. I actually feel a binding sometimes when trying to shift, especially into second and fifth. Sometimes it is difficult to get into second even when there is no grinding. Is there some sort of rubber gasket around the shifter that could have given way and is blocking the shifter? That is what it feels like. The binding feels as though it is not in the gear box but more in the shifter. Anyway am I looking at a large or small fortune here? I could do the clutch myself but it is hard to do all this by yourself with a car on jackstands. I am sure I could replace whatever is worn at the shifter but I have never bit into a trannny before. Advice? Oh yeah, is any of this tax deductible?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
There have been several tranny threads in the Spider forum ("search" is suggested), and the ranges quoted have been between $1200 and $3500. Most opinions suggest that $1200 to $1500 is what a good Alfa mechanic would charge for rebuilding a transmission. A clutch job is anywhere between $700 and $1000. Since you plan on doing this at the same time, removing the transmission is in fact what you do to change the clutch, so your clutch job should be basically just the parts.

While vehicle maintenance expenses are deductible for companies, they are not deductible for individuals, nor are these expenses considered "losses". I'm not accountant, but the Tax Code is pretty clear, and certainly there aren't any allowable deductions for personal classic cars...

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Also the tranny is leaking from somewhere up around the shifter. I don't know what it looks like up there but I am willing to bet it isn't pretty.
There's a rubber boot on top of the transmission around the shift post that could be torn, and there's also two breather vents up there that could be spewing (are you sure you're not overfilled w/fluid?)

I actually feel a binding sometimes when trying to shift, especially into second and fifth.
That could be bent/worn forks for those particular gears, or at a stretch, the little bean looking interlock rollers (they prevent you from selecting more than one gear at a time) or the spot on the shafts where they engage could be damaged/sticking.

·
Premium Member
13,481 Posts
Richard Jemison (AlfaR7) is an expert on Alfa transmissions, he is not that far from you in Pensacola and he does not charge a fortune. Can you afford to have your car off the road while you remove the transmission and ship it off for a rebuild?
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If the mounts are old the motor will sag and the shifter will hit. so I would start with new mounts. not that hard of a job to do. And the mounts need to be changed every so many years anyways.
BTW did you use the redline NS?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo. I bet it is the mounts! I changed the motor mounts but not the tranny mount. I ordered the mount recently and had planned on doing it soon. I have Christmas week off so I guess I know what i will be doing! You guys are the greatest!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Bingo. I bet it is the mounts! I changed the motor mounts but not the tranny mount. I ordered the mount recently and had planned on doing it soon. I have Christmas week off so I guess I know what i will be doing! You guys are the greatest!
lemmie known how that worked for ya, because i did replaced mine motor mounts as well and had not done tranny mount, and since that my reverse pops out from time to time...

·
Registered
145 Posts
i paid about $1600 (with a new bellhousing, to replace the cracked one) for a complete rebuild of the transmission.

·
Registered
373 Posts
does anyone sell already-rebuilt trannies? just curious if that's any cheaper..or if there are any aftermarket options

1 - 9 of 9 Posts