Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the matching number motor for the blue GTV and I'm doing it pretty much the same as the last two except if you believe in continual improvement this one should be the best. So far the other two motors have been great street motors so I guess I'll end up with spare and that can't be bad:) Lots of metal left on the bench just from the first two exhaust porting work, btw, I wouldn't dare use that CenTech digital caliper on a journal or anything that needed three decimal places but on porting to the tenth of a mm it's cool beans.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,841 Posts
Cool, what do you use for the actual grinding?

I'd love to do this someday when the girls are teenagers and no longer want to hang out with dad. I'm sure the first must be nerve-wracking.

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I start off with metal cutting bits from HF then stones, the a flapper cylinder sander in the air grinder then a flapper in the dremmel which will burn up if used for more than 5 minutes. cutting oil on everything, keeps the bits clean. It's worth the efffot though:)

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just remembered that if you don't have a big rearended air compressor you can get one of those high speed HF 1/4 inch shanked electric grinders and use that. Actually it's almost preferrable. Although they are bigger and longer you don't have to listen to the air compressor running all the time. cheaper on the meter too I would think.
Don't try and use a dremmel tool. All you will do is heat up the plastic part that holds the motor brushes in and they'll end up sticking and the darn thing will quit working.
Did finsh up the exhaust side and now will tackle the intake and manifold. Has anyone ever done what I'm doing and used Wes's high performanc throttle bodies for a ported head and an HP pump? I'm seriously considering going with the modified throttle bodies but would like to hear something like.... you bet gig, best money I ever spent, great bang for the buck.... then again if they really don't make all that much difference I'd like to know that too. I CAN handle the truth:D

con rod weights:
#1 700 grams
#2 701 grams
#3 700 grams
#4 699 grams
have not weighed the pistons yet

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
guides installed and if there was any doubt about cleaning the liners take some scotchbrite to the tops of the lines and see how much cleaner they are afterwards.
have the crank in and installed the rear seal with a very thin coating of permatex#2 on the grooved outer edge of the seal. Installed it before the rear main cap went on. I also used a toothpick to put a small dab of #2 in the bottom of the cig seal hole. The cig seals stick up about 2mm. I also checked that the seal was in a perfect circle by using a toothpick and checking the gap between the seal and crank as it narrows to the actual sealing lip and the gap was even all the way around so the seal must be perfectly circular.
One piston and pin was 775.5 grams and the others were about 2 grams more so I took about 2 grams off the inside of the other three wrist pins. Rods were balances separatly but were within a couple of grams to start off with so that was no big deal.

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, that and let the guides sit overnight in a cooler filled with dry ice. A machinest friend made the installation tool and with blue loctite they went in without a hitch.

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dodged a big time bullet today on the rings, total seal. Getting to the stage I should have a checklist. installed #1 with 2nd ring dot up, top ring goes both ways. Installed #2 but got distracted and went on to #3, then on #4 checked for dot up, hummm did I check 2 & 3 dots? 50 50 chance.... don't remember doing it. So out they come and sure enough 2 was upside down and 3 was correct just proving the statistical probablility. Put them back in right, I'm just glad I remembered I didn't remember.
btw the grease trick works great on the pilot bushing removal in the crank, found that by googling. It lifted right out. pretty neat actually.

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
mo documentary evidence:) This motor is going to have ac, have a compressor mount from a 77 that mounts in the front plugs in the head which is so much better than what was done originally with the compressor flopping around on half you know what mouting. I'm having the steel mount reproduced in aluminum and we've (he actually) found a piece of aluminum channel that is exactly like the steel one. Not only going for weight reduction but can polish it like the cam cover. It looks like it's going to be one of those classic air units that mount under the package tray. pretty much threw the inverter and 110v air out the window, pun intended:)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Is this engine going to have Spica or carbs? If carbs, I like mounting the compressor where it is on a Bosch spider using the Spica pump studs, with a Bosch style 2 pc pulley for tensioning. Much cleaner look with the compressor out of sight / out of mind, and it keeps everything on the pass side of the car where your evaporator is likely to be.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bosh? what's that:) The HP pump Wed did for me will go on this motor. 27 mpg at 75 and power to pass and I'm a happy camper. Besides this old dog got to know his spica and is to old to learn what this new fangled electronic injection is all about not to mention the conversion and the $$$ it would take.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Bosh? what's that:) The HP pump Wed did for me will go on this motor. 27 mpg at 75 and power to pass and I'm a happy camper. Besides this old dog got to know his spica and is to old to learn what this new fangled electronic injection is all about not to mention the conversion and the $$$ it would take.
If you're sticking with Spica then fair enough. I wasn't suggesting a Bosch FI conversion. Just sayin' that if you planned on going to Webers you might think about copying the Bosch Spider A/C compressor mount the way I did. But if you have a FI pump bolted on then yeah, you'll need to mount the A/C unit to the head studs and such.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no sweat, it's a good idea. If I ever re ac my spider with webers I'll definitly consider that.

·
Registered
752 Posts
This is a great thread. I'm at the completely disassembled stage of building a 2L for my Super Nuova using a Bosch injected engine that will be converted to carbs. It's all very timely.

What pistons/liners are you using?

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I bit the bullet and bought a new oil pump. The one from the motor speced out ok except it had a rough spot in the rotattion and I just couldn't take the chance. cha ching:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts