Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to adapt an Alfetta engine to fit in a '78 Spider? The obvious differences are the bell housing & oil pan. Are the bolt patterns the same (i.e - is possible to mate a Spider bell & pan to the Alfetta block)? Are there other issues that are less obvious? TIA

·
Registered
340 Posts
You need a crankshaft that has a hole to accept the pilot bushing and transmission input shaft. The gearbox is in the back of an Alfetta, but mounted directly to the engine on the Spider.

Regards,
Lawrence

·
Premium Member
13,514 Posts
The motor in my spider was built from parts from several engines, including an Alfetta. The Alfetta block has a dipstick on the exhaust side and the spider sump has one on the intake side so you have the possibility of two dipsticks! I blanked off the one in the block with a cap head bolt. Also, the Alfetta does not have a low oil pressure switch so you will have to live without it. Otherwise, it is just the crank and sump that are different. The spider bellhousing bolts up to Alfetta block.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Milano Verde's

·
Premium Member
13,514 Posts
One more thing - the oil pump. The Alfetta pump has an extended pick-up because the sump is deeper. You will need a Spider pump if you install a spider sump.
I think that I have these parts in the back of my garage. Let me know if you need anything.
Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Sounds like you could use the Alfetta crank if you had a pilot hole machined into it but looking at in my parts manuals, the crank to flywheel bolt patterns a look different (Alfetta = 6 bolts, Spider = 8). Is this true? If so, locating a Spider crank would be crucial to going ahead with the project.

·
Registered
268 Posts
OK, this is an easy rebuild/mod.
BUT!
There is indeed the crank. If you have a 2000 engine: no problem, just have the hole machined, and order the bronze bushing.
If you have an 1800 engine, there are early and late versions, with 6 or 8 holes. Accordingly there are flywheels for 105's with 6 or 8 holes.
Do you have the old engine?
It is NOT the case to state that an Alfetta has a 6 bolt crank and a spider an 8 bolt!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did this swap and it went like this:

crank needs to be removed so that it can be drilled to accept the bush, use the 105 sump and oil pump as well as the water pump for the tacho drive. The flywheel should fit. There's a watertemp sensor on the head which you don't need just use your old one. You also get the benefit of the canister oil filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts