Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my customers built a supercharged V6 and sent me the dyno sheet. The sheet shows 290rwhp! He actually got it up over 300rwhp with a little more tuning and by taking it to 6700rpm. Since the demise of Bill Sims' supercharged racer (transaxle blew, causing a wreck :( ) that makes this car the most powerful 12 valve Alfa I know of. At least the most powerful verifiable one.

This car DOES NOT use my supercharger kit. The customer bought my book, intercooler, and various other things. He used a junkyard Eaton M62 supercharger and Megasquirt. It took him a while to get it tuned, but dang, the results are awesome.

Strangely, it's not a 3.0! It's a 3.0 block and heads with 11:1 pistons, he then put in a 2.5's crank which lowered the compression, reduces displacement, and at least in theory plays havoc with squish area, but it works. With stock cams he had 270rwhp. He now has an off the shelf grind from Catcams that allowed it to sqeak over 300rwhp!

I must say I am somewhat surprised that someone was able to do this on the cheap, junkyard supercharger, lowering the compression in probably the least effective way, but I can't argue with the results.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I am not. I think the 12V can make a lot more even. it is just the small number of boosted cars we have. We have been going conservative. And with the glass trasaxel there no point to go much more. Look at what the straight 6 supra do stock just adding boost and programmable FI. 900-1000Bhp
But they have a ton of motors to blow up figuring it out. And the Toyoda 5speed box seems to hold up. I guess the 6-speed does not last long when boosted.
If some one gave you a blank check and said boost until it blows up. I bet the power would also be scary high.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I agree, the 12 valver can make a lot more, but it's still a lot. The M62 blower is up near it's limits here, and so is the transaxle.

Greg

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Greg,

Is this guy in Sweden?

Here's a nice video of a 75 V6 Supercharger vs. a fully built N/A 75 3.0 (the of the re 75 detailed all of his engine mods). Although this may not be your customer, Greg.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Greg,

Is this guy in Sweden?

Here's a nice video of a 75 V6 Supercharger vs. a fully built N/A 75 3.0 (the of the re 75 detailed all of his engine mods). Although this may not be your customer, Greg.
That was entertaining :D.
I wonder what gearbox he has in that thing, the ratios seem very close together and he was hammering the rev limiter pretty early on 1 of the longer straights.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greg,

Is this guy in Sweden?
I am pretty sure that's the car. I can't say with 100% certainty, but this particular customer used a megaphone style bypass/blowoff valve that's really loud, and the car in that video sounds about the same. Of course these videos were before all the tuning and reaching 300rwhp. I think it took him the better part of a year to get the megasquirt system dialed in.

Here is another video of the same car you posted. (which I am pretty sure is the car in question.

Greg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Greg,
I've been toying with an idea & Glenwood will not get involved with supercharging, they are into turbo's, however I had an E46M3 fiited with the Active Autowerke stage 2+ s/c kit(they are Miami based in the US) with fantastic result's.
Now this is what I would like to try;
1). Your s/c kit
2). Forged pistons as per your spec but to 100mm bore, so I go the Glenwood Motors 3.5L route on a 3L.
3). Nice big valve heads & cams which we need to work out the spec for based on this plan.
4). I will use the AHM intake kit with 6X45mm ITB's.

Obviously I will have to have a custom plenum made up to suit, that should not pose a problem.

Now with my 156GTA turbo I gained considerably more power with less boost required when I took the motor from 3.2 to 3.7 so should have a descent gain on the 12V as well & the ITB's should help?
My straight cut HD CR gearbox could take the pain, just!;)At least I will give it a go.
What do you think? Drop me a PM & then size up the s/c to suit the idea, I beleive that 450-500bhp can be had with out the lag & complex plumbing of turbo's & far more usable.
I've had a turbocharged E46M3 & with the same kit such as suspension, brakes etc the s/c car was much better around a track & easier to drive, especially on a day to day basis.
Now I'm game to do this, so here we could have a true US/SA hybrid GTV6:)
Ciao,
John

·
Registered
105 Posts
:) Hi ..
I am Hans.. the Swede with the sc Alfa V6 ..

I´ts nice to se that you are interested in my car ...

I done some racing in the Swedish Alfa Challenge for some years now with an 75 3.0 QV..

I did need more power to keep up the turbos..and build an new engine on an 164 super engine
I did make new intake manifold and headers... 41 mm inside ,, catcam racecams ...cr 11:1 and stock Motronic..

That only got me aprx 220 engine hp.I think the motronic mostly maked the roof..

So I did buy an MegasquirtII and An used sc M62
I did put in an 2.5 crank. and it end up in 2.78 liters and cr aprox. 8.5..

That worked out very good and the engine give me 240 hp on the wheels after one simple dynotest..

Thats the engine thats in the youtubes from last year..

Many experts said that it is not perfect with racecams and overbost ..to much overlap...

So my theory was to back of the cams ..

Last week I did some dynotest and with the cams backed of up to 6 degr ( that max.what I made my adjusthols for) the engine just run perfect and give over 290 rwhp and nice torque..

Thats one part of my racecar story

/Hans

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI,

What solution did you make with the gearbox?? It sounds like a straight cut.

Is is locally made in Sweden? or UK??

Great in car footage !!

A

·
Registered
105 Posts
HI,

What solution did you make with the gearbox?? It sounds like a straight cut.

Is is locally made in Sweden? or UK??

Great in car footage !!

A
Thanks ..
I think that you reply to the video from Gellerasen,,

in that race I did have my "home made"gearbox

an 3.54 milano gearbox stock 1st and 2end gear an old alfetta 1.35 as 3rd and stock 3rd in 4th place and alfettas 4th 1.04 in 5th.place

it was not perfect but okey with stock engine (first image..)

in the second video it was an stock 4:10 gearbox

I am building a new one found some gears from Bacci that will be perfect in
4th place..(second image).

The sound in the videos is from the mean sc..

/Hans

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hans, welcome to the alfabb! It's a fun forum, most of the people here are great. I enjoyed watching your videos and watching your car develop.

Greg Gordon

Thanks Greg ..

And thanks for a great book and help ..

Yeas its alot of nice threads in this forum..
/Hans

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very very nice! that 75 also seems like a handfull on the track, I can't imagine what it'd be like in a long track with the right gear, probably go like a rocket!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Somewhere there is a video that shows an outside view of the start of the race shown in the first video. In that one you can really see how this thing out accelerates ALL the other cars on the track. With the extra 50-60 horsepower it now has, it's going to be a monster. I just hope the transaxle stays alive.

Greg Gordon,
Silicone Hose Kits

·
Registered
105 Posts
Somewhere there is a video that shows an outside view of the start of the race shown in the first video. In that one you can really see how this thing out accelerates ALL the other cars on the track. With the extra 50-60 horsepower it now has, it's going to be a monster. I just hope the transaxle stays alive.

Greg Gordon,

Hi . the transaxel have is own story..
When I put on the sc. I did do an new transaxel ..
did find one Audi A6 Q axel with CV joints ..it was 30 mm shorter than alfas trans..perfect some adapter and... sending fotos...

driven a year now and it works all right....

/Hans

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts