Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
This car with chassis number 856015 has been on the market for about 2 years, first out of Italy, then at an auction in Toulouse in November of last year. At the Toulouse auction, the car was listed as having engine number AR00612*00615 which is an engine number that did not come from Alfa Romeo. All of these cars had AR00601*10xxx engine numbers when they left the factory. When the car was for sale in Italy, there was some engine work done. I presume the engine was swapped with a 2600 Sprint/Spider engine (with the same performance as the original engines but some details specific to 2600 SZ) and restamped with a fantasy number -- so the original engine may still be around.

The condition seems to be OK but not overwhelming (just look at the bumpers). The spoke wheels are not original to the car (they came with Borrani disc wheels). The spare wheel is installed in a somewhat strange way (should be at the left of the trunk, flat on the trunk floor) and a the trunk lid support has been changed (different than original). Also, the steering wheel was changed at some point to what seems to be a smaller, wooden wheel and has a thicker rim than the Nardi steering wheels that were made for 2600s.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ruedi. Excellent info, as always.
Dom

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not sure it looks right with the wire wheels, but the original Borranis if lost are pretty much impossible to replace. It is sitting very high too.

That said, the estimate is modest and for the condition seems fair.

John

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
the car seems to have some missing stuff in the engine bay.

the car has the back very high...compared to this one :
This is correct. The Solex carbs, cross-over tube and air filter have been removed. It appears the Weber carbs ar on a Solex manifold. From the pictures, one cannot tell if the manifold was modified (de-siamesed).

And yes, the car's stance seems rather high (front and back). It would be interesting to see if the suspension has been modified (e.g with incorrect springs). I have a hunch that the car may be on 185x400 tires (instead of the original 175x400 size that is no longer available or the 165x400 size used on other 2600s) -- if so, these tires might rub inside the fenders if the car is not set higher.

I've never seen the photo you posted. Can you tell me where it's coming from and where and when it was taken?

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
This picture was taken by me at the nice Grand'maisons near Paris.

It was in May 2014.
Thank you for letting me know -- and for jogging my memory: I now recall seeing similar pictures on the Marreyt Classics web site), where AR*856030 that was in the Artcurial auction (briefly discussed here) has been for sale since about the time you mentioned. Are you affiliated with Marreyt?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw this car at the Artcurial Auction at Retromobile in 2014. It was part of a very large lot of of Alfas from the collection of Giorgio Schoen, the Milanese Ferrari dealer and ex Lancia Works rallye star. Being the owner of a 2600 SZ (Chassis no 012), now being restored by RPM in Vermont, I took the time to inspect it carefully. What I can say is that it was a slapdash "restoration" with little attempt at properle detailing the finished product. I didn't bother to ask the if I could hear it run. Lots of plastic, incorrect fasteners, bad panel fit, poor workmanship. I'm not in love with the work product that Zagato originally turned out when producing these cars, they were built quickly and to a price, but this thing brought the model to a new low.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Ted, good to hear from you again. I hope you're making good progress on your car.

Given the Artcurial reference, your comments must be about 856030 (not 856015 that is in the Spa auction and referred to in post #1 above). As you probably know, every restoration has a story about trade-offs (some of them rather painful). I was in contact with the gentleman in France who restored the car (Giorgio Schoen seems to have had absolutely nothing to do with that) and supplied him with information about what things should look like. Given the circumstances, I think the restorer did the best he could do. This car looked good when the restorer bought it, but turned out to be molested and very rusty when he stripped it. So, in some cases a judgement call had to be made about preserving what was there (whether original or not) and/or come up with new solutions. Personal taste and preferences mattered, too. Could the car have been restored better? Sure -- but only if an unlimited amount of time and money were available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reudi: You're correct. Me bad. I made a rapid scan of the post and assumed it was 030 being discussed. Indeed rust seems to be a defining parameter when restoring a 2600 SZ (or any Zagato car for that matter). When we finally got my car down to the metal and removed the rust and corroded inner panels, there was not much car left. A lot of fabrication ensued and I do believe the finished product will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at the sale....SZ sold for 166,000 euros (ca. 182,000 USD) including the premium.

To me the car looked sort of cobbled together in haste....

But the Classic racing at Spa, now that was really fantastic!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts