Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Well known car. The first 2600SZ I have ever seen and driven. Ex-Dirk Stoehr and could have been yours for $40k when he tried to sell it around 2005 and could not, then sold through FJ - Do not recall the final price (I think High $40k?) but I almost bought from them #48, which was sold at the same time in 2007-ish (Maybe earlier) for $67.5k. At that time, #48 was the way better car mechanically and from an originality level - Though #48 was already converted to Webers at that time (Though with the right set up).

The current owner for sure did some nice improvements. I like that the car now wears its bumpers (Do not like them without), the engine compartment looks detailed and the sills are painted black (Where silver before) - All massive improvements.

I do not recall why the set up was changed to Webers - Don't remember if the Solex set up caused troubles but I think they came from #48. And the gray interior is certainly nicely done but always looked really off to me for the car (Should be dark gray, almost black) and I am also not a fan of the plexi windows but try to find a glass set. Bonus: Comes with a gun compartment that an earlier owner put in.

Not sure were prices are these days but I believe they might have not moved much - If more recent sales of Flaminia Sports are an indication (They did not move much in the past five years - Ask me how I know ...). Certainly, $150k is over-ambitious as I happen to know what the best in the US sold for ( Way less - Don't ask me how I know ...) and am very familiar with the 2005 - 07 sales a FJ and cars offered since.

Links to more info, including how it looked like at FJ:
1967 Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint Zagato

Discussions on this board:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1900-2000-2600-1950-1968/43222-2600-sz-sale-netherlands-2.html
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1900-2000-2600-1950-1968/20365-new-alfa-2600-sz-purchased.html

Overall, very stunning cars. And this certainly is a well known, honest car. I am partial though to a certain black one ...

Mike

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Mike is spot-on with his comments about the improvements the current owner made.

When this car (#047) was for sale at Italspeed in 2003-2005, the car had Solex carbs (see page from Wayback machine a archive.org here).

Pictures I received from the new owner of #048 show Weber carbs but I cannot tell if they're on a Weber or Solex manifold. Unfortunately, I lost the complete e-mail exchange I had in 2006 with the previous owner when the hard disk in my laptop computer failed and the backup files turned out to be corrupt. If I recall correctly, he owned a 2600 Spider at about the same time, so the Weber setup on #048 may have come from a different car than #047. Either way, it should be relatively easy to check with the previous owners what the story about the carb swap was in case this ever becomes necessary.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I cannot tell if they're on a Weber or Solex manifold.
Ruedi, at a guess it looks like the Solex manifold - the cast mounts for the linkages and left-right format rubbers seem to me to be a-la Solex design. I could well be wrong, having not ever seen a 6-pot weber manifold 'in real life'.

Looking over the pictures, it still surprises me how may parts are inter-changeable on these series of cars 102-106, Zagato, Touring, Bertone.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
FWIW, 4 bidders with substantial feedback (meaning no shill bidders) bid the car to USD 81,100 within 2 days and the auction stayed at that level until it ended -- with the reserve not met.

There was also a discussion at Bring a Trailer.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
FWIW, 4 bidders with substantial feedback (meaning no shill bidders) bid the car to USD 81,100 within 2 days and the auction stayed at that level until it ended -- with the reserve not met.

There was also a discussion at Bring a Trailer.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think price bid is appropriate for the car but what do I (= all knowing peanut gallery) know these days anymore. My friend who owns the black one urged me to buy #47 and to trade in the Lancia for "Rolling Art". While he has a point ...

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I do not recall why the set up was changed to Webers - Don't remember if the Solex set up caused troubles but I think they came from #48.
This is a nice, well presented car. Unusual for ebay the owner clearly wants prospective buyers to have a, more or less, clear picture of what they're buying.

There was a huge difference in responsiveness between the Solexes and Webers. Although my 2600 wasn't a very good car (and quickly sold on) it did have the Weber 45 factory option and I recall that the motor was much more responsive. I never really liked 2600's because, relative to Flaminia's, they always seemed ponderous, largely because of the wooden feeling of the motor with Solexes. I always wondered what a Conrero 2600 would have been like , , ,

·
Registered
152 Posts
Reudi,
Now that the BaT posting is getting buried, I thought I would add to the conversation about the rims and sizes here.

For what it's worth, I checked my Aurelia Borrani Bi-Metals, and they are stamped "165x400", the blue-print for my Aurelia Borrani wires calls the rim "5JRx400", and the relatively recent (2006) catalog gives all sizes as "##x##" rather than "##-##".

Regards,
Steve (old fahrt)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I might add that I generally prefer the disc wheels to the wires. The wires tend to be heavier and require more maintenance, and the discs look better on 50s/60s designs to my eyes.
-Steve

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Steve, here is a picture of the 2600 SZ Borrani bi-metal wheel in front of the regular 2600 steel wheel.

I have a 1961 Michelin tire brochures that refer to both 165x400 and 165-400 tires (but only to 165-400 wheels) in the same pamphlet. It could be a question of when the "x" and "-" designations for tires and wheels were introduced and standardized. I'm guessing the introduction of tire speed rating that replaced the "x" or "-" had something to do with it. I'll check with my brother what standards exist and when they were introduced.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts