Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While "operation save a sprint " has proceeded at pace my 2600 spider has sat patiently in the garage with a leaking water pump sustained during the run to Spa in June last year - so nearly 12 months off the road !

I got back to the Spider in mid May and fitted my NOS water pump , but when I restarted the engine the water pump seal died of shock - after more than 40 years idle. So then I had two leaking pumps.

Fortunately I have found SP pumps SP Water Pumps - engine water pumps for all makes and models who did an excellent job of refurbishing the pumps ( as photos).

Std price is £55 approx $ 88.

PLEASE NOTE THIS ASSUMES THE PUMP SHAFT IS OK IF YOU ARE NOT SURE YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY A NEW SHAFT AS PART OF A REPAIR KIT AS SP DONOT STOCK THIS APPROX £175 FROM CLASSIC ALFA OR SIMILAR

For this you get cleaned and painted pump , refaced surface, new water seal,gasket and new bearings.

For an additional £10 on my original pump they fitted a new impeller. The old one had mysteriously lost all its fins , which probaly explains why the engine heated up quickly when idling.

I fitted one pump the morning before the last Auto-Italia day at Stanford hall and the car completed a 180 mile round trip without any problems.

I actually had already spent over £55 on two new seals and a gasket from one of the normal German suppliers. The water seals were rejected by SP pumps as better than OEM , but not as good as their items ( which cost pennies,cents) which had a better quality and self adjusting to seal .

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ian

Thanks for sharing this info as I too had the same problem and took some time to get resolved.

I belive kits are available in Germany for almost 200 USD so this is a bargain

Thanks again

Andy

NY

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just received a nice 2600 water pump repair kit from [email protected] for 230.00 euro plus shipping .... now I just need to find some reassembly instructions.
ha ha ...
BTW, it took two weeks to get here from Italy.

·
Richard Jemison
7,864 Posts
Rebuilder

You best call/PM Gordon Raymond on the BB. He is the expert on rebuilding water pumps!! Probably has parts as well.
Rj

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just to show how prices change - I've had a quote from SP (Redmerlin above) - now 154 GBP!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it helps the water pump SP rebuilt for me 9 years ago , is still working fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it helps the water pump SP rebuilt for me 9 years ago , is still working fine.
I saw that - just commenting on the price now. Mine seems ok thankfully

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok but don't do too many laps at SPA , that's where mine died after 10 years of not doing a lot

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Hi All,
send my old 2000 touring spider waterpump to SP for rebuilt .

after 500KM I did need New rebuilt...………..

rgds Franco

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the water pump you are selling also rebuilt by SP , or one of yours by any chance?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts