Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some clarification, please. Is the 2600 transmission the same as a 101/105 5 speed other than the bell-housing and input shaft?

Also, where can I find one? A fellow contacted me about a gearbox I have for sale as he needs one for his restoration.

·
Push hard and live
8,976 Posts
The rear housing of a 2600 does not have the boss at the bottom to house the support bushing. So, just the chunk in the middle, with a different input shaft, can be made to work.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found your older post about the differences between the 102 and 106 gearboxes. A great read. Do you have a photo of the rear housing as I am not clear as to how the back end is supported? It is decades since I was last under a 2600.

·
Push hard and live
8,976 Posts
No pic handy at the moment. I’ll try to describe again.

The rear mount for the 2000 and 2600 is a long bolt that goes through two bushings mounted in the bell housing. This bolt is then secured into a transverse structure that is bolted to the body shell under the transmission.

The rear mount for 101s, 105s, and 115s is a bolt that fits through a single bushing mounted at the bottom of the tail housing. This is then attached to a similar transfers structure mounted under the rear of the trans.

·
Richard Jemison
7,097 Posts
The 106 transmission is as you described, as to the internals as gears (tooth count) are the same as early 101 5 speeds, the input shaft is longer. Other than the missing 5th gear set, gears from the split case 4 speeds main shaft can be used as replacements.
Gears from later 5 speed 105/115 have different tooth counts on the gears.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JR, I read an earlier thread about trying to make 102 gears work in a 106 and they don't mix. Your advice on the early 4 speed is good information. Thank you.
Don, I have a better picture of what that looks like with your description.
Will the bell and tail housing fit onto the 101 center without modifications?

·
Push hard and live
8,976 Posts
While I have a general idea of the mixing concepts, there are people with more specific experience than me. Maybe Jay Nuxoll will appear and add his 150 years of experience.

It can get a little murky, as there have been “expert” opinions that disagree.

For instance, I am currently driving with a 2600 transmission in my 1959 2000, fitted with an FNM 2300 engine. The 2600 box was modified with a 2000 bell housing, input shaft, and output shaft. This was motivated by the 2300’s significantly higher power output, and I wished to have the 2600’s taller 5th gear.

The 2000 uses a four-finger/eight hole output giubo, and the splines for its clutch disk are different than for the 2600. Also, SOME 2000/2600 bell housings are drilled to mate up to both engines, but I’ve never had one of those, so had to use a purely 2000 bell housing.

Meanwhile, when we were doing the conversion a well known Alfa “expert” swore the input shaft gears would not correctly match the layshaft gears.

I’ve got about 10,000 miles on the combination so far, with no complaints.

So, any guidance you get should be taken as well intended input, but not necessarily the word of god.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am not a Alfa gearbox expert, but Mike Besic just rebuilt my 2600 gearbox and converted it to late model 2 Liter shift rods, forks, sliders, roller bearing 5th gear and moly synchros. The late model parts are very "heavy-duty" compared to the "101 style" pieces used in the 2600 gearbox. He retained the bellhousing, input shaft, some gears, countershaft, output shaft and rear tailhousing. He used a late model center case to get the shift rods, etc. You end up with a gearbox that looks exactly identical externally, has very strong parts, uses any modern gear oil and shifts beautifully.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had exactly the same done as DWR46. I gave A 106 box and an excellent later 105 box to an alfa gearbox expert and got back an excellent 106 box full of 105 parts. I never new the detail but it was probably the same as previous post

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Hi All,

I have 102 and 106 gearboxes in parts and also 2300 rio bellhouse

you can use the long direct drive axle for conversion /rebuilding by using an 105 /115 gearbox

for info PM ( [email protected] )

see :

rgds Franco

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts