Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any leads on a rear license plate bracket for a '64 2600 Spider? AFRA Milan no longer makes these, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much,
Joe

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Used ones show up on eBay every once in a while, and usually go for about USD 300 (plus the cost of re-chroming).
Supposedly, there are two versions of the license plate holder, one for Europe, the other for USA.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tubut,
Interesting about the two versions of license plate bracket. I didn't know that, but now I'll do some more research into it. Meanwhile, I'll keep checking the eBay listings. Thanks a bunch for the info.
Happy motoring!
Joe

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
license plate bracket

There is no Chrome surround on Two Liter license plate holder. Unlike the 2600 there is nothing special or complicated. The license plate braket is merely a basic "T" shape inverted with a rubber block used to hold the shorter (now on top) leg out from the curving trunk lid so as to have a vertical aspect of the plate, and the bottom wider width of the "T" bolted with two bolts to the lower edge of the trunk lid. I always use a plate cover over the plate since there is no way to bolt the plate on the top. The license plate light, however, is slightly different from 2600 in that it has no additional spacer between it and the back of the body below the trunk lid. Which of these two, the holder itself or the light, are you looking for? Neither can be all that expensive. Maybe I can help you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twoliterlover,
So far, I'm not sure which bracket I need, and I haven't found out if both types will work on my model. I am attaching a photo of a 2600 that looks like my model. Not sure if the photo will enlarge enough for you to get a good look. When I get more info, I'll pass it along. Thanks for the info and help,
Joe
P.S. - Let me know if attachment doesn't come through. I haven't tried to attach a photo to a BB post yet...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nope, that's 2600, not two liter

Looks nice, but it is a 2600 item. The two liter is not that way at all. I guess I will have to take a few pictures. Again, visualize a "T" with wide arms made of flat sheet metal. Turn it over so the arms bolt to very bottom edge of the trunk lid. Two holes are in it so you can either put the plate bottom on with nut on the inside near trunk lid or have nuts on outside. The foot of the "T" (turned upward) has a bend to catch the upper lip edge of the license plate. To keep the license plate verticla on the bending trunk lid a rubber tube is around a hollow pipe of about two and a half length with a bolt through the "T" foot and the turnk lid, bolted on the inside. No great gimmick, but no fancy chrome casting. Never had it. At least I see you do not need the license plate light that fits under the trunk lid on the bottom valance of the back of the car.

Do you want a photo from me, or would it be too disappointing? Yours came through perfectly, and I can see why you might be confused. But don't bother going around to look for one like that. If you really believe you want one, then get one off a 2600. Notice the 2600 holder fits different size plates, the itialian type. But two liter never had that.

Jay

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Joe, I'm pretty sure both versions will fit your car.

The drawing in the parts catalog shows only one picture with 2 parts numbers:
106.01.59.038.01 for Europe
106.01.59.191.01 for USA

For all I know, these two items are interchangeable and may only differ in the bolt patterns for attaching the license plates.

A friend of mine looked into having license plate holders made but the costs are prohibitive. It appears the original license plate holders are cast and then machined and chrome plated. It is the cost of making a mold that puts the cost over the top.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both, Jay and Tubut, for the info.

Jay, I get the feeling we're talking about different models. Sounds like you've got the 2000; I've got a 2600, so it doesn't sound like the bracket you described will fit - but maybe I'm missing something here. In any case, I'd enjoy seeing photos of your car(s), if you feel like posting some. I'll post some pics of mine, if I can remember how I did it last time!

Tubut, Thanks for the parts numbers for those brackets. I, too, considered trying to get one cast, but I figured the price would be steep - even if I could find someone to do the work. So, I guess I'll keep on looking, and try to a source for info re: the differences between the two brackets.

Thanks again, fellas!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Right. I can't even read!

Boy, do I feel silly. I lost your model in the trees. I never refer to these as 2600 Touring spiders since I can't recall any other 2600 Spider that was NOT by Touring. I see the Touring with numbers (and without my glasses and think someone is using it with 2000 to differ it later 2000 mopels. So it was oranges and apples, Sorry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2600 spider

No problem. I didn't realize that some of the 2000's were made by Touring and some weren't. Not surprisingly, I'm new to Alfa realm and have a lot to learn about the many models and body types, as well as how they're referred to by Alfa "vets". I had originally planned to get a Giulietta spider (sort of a childhood dream), but when I finally started my search, I discovered I didn't fit into them - my eyes were above the top of the windscreen! Very disappointing. Then I happened upon a photo of a 2600 - and that was that!
So, perhaps more info than you wanted...but I appreciate your input and experience reagrding these wonderful old machines.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Don't sweat it. In my opinion, the term "Touring Spider" applies to both 2000 and 2600 cars. And should we have to enter into a "Spyder" vs. "Spider" discussion, I have documentation from Alfa Romeo that shows both terms were used. So, again, don't sweat it!

·
Registered
434 Posts
2600 Touring Rear Plate

Hi gang, I have a rear plate number 106.01.59.191.01, as Ruedi says itf for the US version and appears to mount directly to the rear trunk. I have never seen one mounted so I can't really comment.I have included some pics . I am currently in negotiation with a fellow Alfista for the rear plate, if it does not sell then I will put it on E-Bay.

mike v

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi alfamichele,
Thanks for the heads up re: the license plate bracket. I am definitely interested! Do you have the gasket (106.01.59.034.00/01) and hardware too? Would appreciate notification if you put it on eBay, but I check the eBay parts site almost daily anyway, so I'd probably see it come up.
Thanks again, and good luck whichever way it goes!
Joe

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Hi gang, I have a rear plate number 106.01.59.191.01, as Ruedi says itf for the US version and appears to mount directly to the rear trunk. I have never seen one mounted so I can't really comment.I have included some pics . I am currently in negotiation with a fellow Alfista for the rear plate, if it does not sell then I will put it on E-Bay.

mike v
Thanks for posting these pictures, Mike! Now I'm even more confused. I cannot believe that this bracket was bolted directly onto the trunk lid. That would just be too ugly for these cars and not any better than bolting the license plate directly onto the trunk lid. About the only thing that makes sense to me at this point is that part no. 106.01.59.038.01 for Europe is the frame shown in post #5 above, and the bracket 106.01.59.191.01 for USA is to be used in addition to the European license plate holder and not as a replacement for it, as the parts catalog indicates.

Regarding the gasket, none of the suppliers I checked have it. Most people use a small rubber u-profile instead.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ruedi, you might be right,When I got the car thats the way it was installed but the fit looked wrong since it did not fit "correctly" . I will try to post another full pic of the opposite side where I had marked the plate to trim it to fit correctly . I should have it in a couple of days..

mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi all for what its worth I believe Ruedi is right both plates are to be used for american cars. I have both but have not fitted the flatter plate to the car just the moulded cast one. I also have two cast plates that do not fit the 2600 trunk but do fit the trunk on a 2 litre oddly enough.
John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts