Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following are private messages on Alfa BB. I started this thread to see if anyone has leads on making these rare parts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlle
I am also looking for side windows and front bumpers

post your response to 2600 area on alfabb and maybe find others who are looking for same.

Ed Aenlle Fallbrook, CA

Ed,
I do not understand the alfabb fully enough to be able to use it effectively. I have found a custom supplier who will make curved glass for the 2600SZ
roll down windows for $1000 set up and $250 per glass. One of the 2600SZ experts on the bb says that the windows are flat. There is no way they were flat on my car. The roll down tracks are curved, the wing windows are curved and the back side windows are curved.. Comments please.
Cameron Sheahan [email protected]

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Ed & Cameron and other owners:

I was away for Xmas (returned home this evening) and was not yet able to follow up on this issue as I had promised to Cameron.

Curved or straight side windows is a very interesting topic that deserves to be looked at in detail. I've heard from several owners that they believe the glass was curved and that the wrong glass was installed and that they had trouble replacing it. I have not yet been able to go to the garage to physically check the windows of my car. Therefore, my impression that the glass is straight is partly from memory and partly from analysis of pictures.

Based on the analysis photographs of 35 cars I know by chassis number, I get the impression (based on reflections in the side windows) that 22 of them (spanning the whole range of production models) have straight side windows and 13 are inconlusive (side windows removed or rolled down) or the side windows not visible are not visible or have no reflections in the pictures.

My analysis may not be without flaws and I have not yet been able to follow up on the following issues:
  1. The radius of the curve may be so small that the reflection in the glass may look straight.
  2. I have not yet contacted other owners for getting their input and feedback.
I'll do my best to provide more information as it becomes available and welcome any input from owners.

With respect to having glass made, I'd have a preference for Sicurvetro who made the replacement front windshields from a template based on my car. Should my side window glasses indeed be curved, I'll be happy to make them available for creating reproductions if they are not destroyed in the process.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Regarding the bumpers: There are 2 types of front bumpers and 2 types of rear bumpers. Based on statistical evidence from pictures (and background information I have on the cars), I have a hunch that the differentiator seems to be where the cars were delivered originally (cars delivered to Italy having one type of bumper, export cars having a different type of bumper) but there are to many mixed front and rear bumpers and modifications made to cars over time to be conclusive -- it is only a hunch at this time I have not yet been able to confirm.

Probably about 2 years ago, Fabio Calligaris in Italy had a set of front and rear bumpers made (in his top-noth restoration facility) that I believecost in the neighborhood of EUR 2200 without chrome.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Based on the analysis photographs of 35 cars I know by chassis number, I get the impression (based on reflections in the side windows) that 22 of them (spanning the whole range of production models) have straight side windows and 13 are inconclusive (side windows removed or rolled down) or the side windows not visible are not visible or have no reflections in the pictures.
I visited the garage today and dug up the side glass. All side windows are indeed slightly curved. I hope this settles the straight glass vs. curved glass confusion and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

I believe there are about 3-4 cars that may need front side glasses. I'll see if I can contact the owners I know during the next few days to gauge their interest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts