Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just saw your posting

Has no one responded to your thread in all this time? I only just discovered it, so here's my nutshell description of the 2600 Sprint:
The Good: a few short of 7,000 built, beautiful styling, superior material and build quality (compared to 750-101 contemporaries), smooth free-reving six cylinder engine, relatively simple to maintain or repair, advanced features for their time.:)
The Bad: heavy steering, prone to rust in door bottoms and rockers, hard to get parts for, get little respect in all venues (for the caliber of car they really are), have odd 400mm wheels (and usually need to retain them for brake clearance), most have troublesome solex carbs with vacuum-actuated secondaries, brake booster is in an awkward location and tends to leak vacuum.:(
The Ugly: Restoration of one of these cars is tough to justify, as the market is thin, and cheap. Parts are so difficult to locate, that if you don't already have all of the parts to reassemble the car in the photos, you're in for a real scavenge hunt.:eek:
All that said, I just love my 2600 Sprint, and yours looks excellent from a body perspective (be careful of those wide front fender tops as they are sooo easy to make wavy from elbows, etc.) These cars are great cruisers, so I hope you get to enjoy yours someday, soon!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
IMO, Steve summed it up nicely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is this to say that these cars are inexpensive to buy, but not to own? I have always thought that they were handsome automobiles, but thought that the price range would be way out compared to a 105-115 car.
What is an average price range? Is it comparable to my super?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Gotta Buy Right

I think the quality of the 2600 ownership experience is dramatically affected by the condition of the car you might encounter. Since these top-out at a fairly low price, the very nicest one you can find is definitely the one to pay extra to own. For what it is worth, the 2007 SCM price guide is $12k-20k with a 28% increase from previous year. So few sell that I'm not sure this data is very informative.
To keep a good car on the road shouldn't be that expensive...to put a basket case back on the road can be ruinous.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I agree with Steve about "Gotta buy right."

The August 2007 issue of the German magazine Motor Klassik puts prices for 2600 Sprints in excellent condition at EUR 29'000 and for average cars at EUR 7'000. Prices for 2600 Spiders (with the same mechanicals) are 44k and 11k, respectively.

Right now, some 2600 Spiders that have been restored to high standards are on the market in Europe for 70-90'000 Euros. I don't think we'll ever see prices like these for 2600 Sprints. I think it is much harder to find good to excellent 2600 Sprints than 2600 Spiders because many of them have been driven in winter conditions, while Spiders usually may have gone to live in warmer and dryer climates. Consequently, many Sprints have rust problems that don't get fixed because market prices make it difficult to justify the investment. And that's a sad story. At the AROC convention in Seattle in 2005, I made a statement in a conversation that I believe we may see less than 100 good 2600 Sprints on the road in 10-20 years.

I think 2600 cars are probably more expensive to maintain and drive than 105-115 cars (for one thing, they are quite thirsty, and re-manufactured parts are made in smaller quantities which makes them more expensive) but they are quite reliable if driven regularly and the hydraulic fluid is changed every 3 years or so to prevent brake and clutch parts from corroding. Also, the brake booster and steering box need to be checked for problems during normal service intervals.

·
Registered
812 Posts
What is so ironic about all this is that the 2600 Sprint was the top of the line Alfa in its day, selling new for more than the now "more desirable" 2600 Spider and more than any contemporary 101/105 car. The European climate meant that a closed car was often more usable than a convertible.

One thing that is often mentioned that bears repeating is that the cost to redo a Sprint interior can be quite high, since there is a lot of leather in there.

Like Ruedi, I am a fan of the "big Alfas", so I think that the Sprints are cool cars, but restoring one is more a labor of love than a potential profit center (but you never know...):)

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
1961 2000 Spider

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think there are very few Alfas that are restorable from a purely economical standpoint:(
I've always been of the mind that cars are art that is meant to be enjoyed (driven). It just seems to be more in the spirit of the reason for creating the auto in the first place.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sprint vs Spider prices

Its true that the Sprint was the premium model in its day, which is why selling nearly 7,000 of the thirsty cars was pretty good.(Didn't they build about that many Mustangs on their first DAY?) The Spider's production total was about one-fifth that number (<1500, I think.) So, I think today's price differential is largely due the much smaller supply of Spiders being sought by a larger group that wants their collector car to be a convertible. My '67 Spider's vinyl upholstery was absolute junk (in 1971) compared to the leather in this '64 Sprint which is original and in wonderful condition today!
Just why the Sprints are such red-haired step children to a marque that serves the same role to the collector market overall, are two mysteries to me. All this serves to keep prices down, but no one wants to restore one, either.
Steve O

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
IFor what it is worth, the 2007 SCM price guide is $12k-20k with a 28% increase from previous year.
Also for what it's worth, the current quarterly issue (May-August 2007) of Cars That Matter (not perfect, but the best and most current price guide) lists the following values for the 2600 Sprint:

Cond. 1 (concours, best in world): $45,000
Cond. 2 (drives as new, but expert can discern some flaws): $22,500
Cond. 3 (no flaws to casual observer): $19,800
Cond. 4 (driver w/ obvious flaws): $14,500

For the 2600 Spider, double those values for Cond. #2, #3, &#4, 1.5 times for Cond. #1.
For the 2600 Zagato, triple those values for Cond. #2, #3, &#4, double it for Cond. #1.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info i was starting to think that no one was out there
you are right about parts being hard to find but i will soldier on as i am enjoying the project:)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Also for what it's worth, the current quarterly issue (May-August 2007) of Cars That Matter (not perfect, but the best and most current price guide) lists the following values for the 2600 Sprint:

Cond. 1 (concours, best in world): $45,000
Cond. 2 (drives as new, but expert can discern some flaws): $22,500
Cond. 3 (no flaws to casual observer): $19,800
Cond. 4 (driver w/ obvious flaws): $14,500

I think these are realistic numbers based on actual sales I have seen and cars I have inspected.

Keith Martin of SCML and I were talking at the AROC Concours about Sprint values. He said that if you bought any classic Alfa in the last year, your values have doubled. He asked what I thought mine was worth, standing right next to it, and I replied: "I dont know, but it starts with a 3". He did not disagree.

(as in, $3X,000.)

Astute collectors are acutely aware of restoration costs and would still pay less than the sum of its parts, which these numbers represent.

You do the math: Paint $10k + Interior $15k+ Mechanicals $10k--hey, the car is free!

BTW, Steve O, was that your white TI race car at the Nationals?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Keith Martin of SCML and I were talking at the AROC Concours about Sprint values. He said that if you bought any classic Alfa in the last year, your values have doubled.
BTW, Steve O, was that your white TI race car at the Nationals?
Interesting comment about inflation finally coming to the Alfa market. I have a Giulietta Sprint for sale right now on this BB... maybe I should rethink my pricing!;)

No, that wasn't my TI at the nationals. Detroit was a bit too far for me this summer.:(
Steve O

1 - 13 of 13 Posts