Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all the many threads on tool kits but I am still a little confused about what tool kit the 2600 Sprint would have had. My car has the little rack in the boot on the left hand side which I gather was there for the tool box?

The parts catalogue I have is dated 1966 (the car is June 1964) and it does not show a tool box but instead a tool bag (see below). The only tool remaining is the wheel nut and hub cap remover. If Alfas are like Austin Healeys (which I am more familiar with) then the tool kit shrunk as each year passed.

I would appreciate any clarification on which tool kit I should be looking for.
IMAG0878.jpg

IMAG0879.jpg

IMAG0880.jpg

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
I agree that the documentation isn't ideal. What you show are pages 290 and 291 of Pub. 1167, the second volume of the 2-Vol parts catalog. In the earlier single-volume parts catalog Pub. 992 shows the toolkit as a box (see below) and the Owner's manual shows they were present in Berlina. Sprint and Spider (see pages from CarDisc DVD further below).

As Pub. 1147 (mechanical) and 1164 (coachwork) show pretty much all aspects of Series 1 and Series 2 cars, I cannot understand why Alfa omitted the tool box pages they showed in Pub. 992. To me, this is not a Series 1 or 2 issue. I have no doubt in my mind that Series 2 cars also were equipped with a tool box, although it is possible that late cars had a tool roll. (Note that the 2600 SZ had a tool roll like the 105 GT Junior, but that's a different story -- and a different roll than the one depicted in Pub. 1167).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
One more picture from the 2600 Owner's Manual:

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
The electric antenna would probably block the tool box in any case. The little knob on the edge of the tool box mounting frame is missing. I wonder if very late cars might have used a tool bag, and the factory did not bother to install the knob that was there only to secure the tool box retaining strap? Or, it just fell out?

I fabricated a simple box that matched the dimensions of the original unit, primarily to fill out the rubber mat that drapes over it, and is formed to fit the box. I just took delivery of a quart of blue hammertone paint to spif it up a bit as well.

Having said that, I also just dressed up a cheap, but attractive wooden box that is about 5 times larger than the original to actually carry the usable tools and spare parts that I like to have along for cross country drives in my 102. It's been reliable so far, but I believe that is because I have spare parts on board that intimidate the installed units into behaving.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
tool box /roll

Interesting comment about the 2600 SZ not having a tool box , just a tool roll.

There is one active 2600 SZ in the UK which visited me last month and I sold the owner my spare tool box. I have no photo so I can't remember if it had a toolbox frame. Anway the 2600 SZ owner also had a 2600 Spider so thetoolbox will find a home.

Tubut , do you have a picture of the 2600SZ tool roll so I can pass it on

Ian

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input. Comparing the list of tools from my 1966 parts book (tool pouch) with the list from the earlier parts books (tool box) the tool pouch contents match the tools from the tool box list provided by Ruedi but obviously less tools overall.

This suggests to me that at some point in production the lovely tool box was replaced by the tool pouch and bag of tools shown in the 1966 parts book. They would not have provided both would they? I note Ruedi's point that it is not a Mark 1/2 issue but there would seem to be a date where it happened.

I notice that the one tool I still have in my boot/trunk which is the wheel brace exactly matches the one shown in the 1966 manual (including the plastic sleeve) but does not match the one shown in Ruedi's photo of the tool box. This suggests to me that by the time the car was first sold (built 6/64 first sold 3/66) the tool box had been replaced by the tool pouch.

Fascinating stuff -thanks again.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Tubut , do you have a picture of the 2600SZ tool roll so I can pass it on
No pictures yet. All I know is that it was the same as early 105 GT Junior 1300. I have not yet found a roll that I know to be absolutely authentic (i.e. supplied with a 2600 SZ for sure -- most of the 2600 SZ I've seen had after market tool rolls). I cannot even tell what is correct correct as there were at least two versions of the canvas bag in 105 cars (maybe there were multiple suppliers, or different models had different bags, e.g. what was supplied to Pininfarina may have been differentthan what Bertone received). The leather tool roll I bought for a fortune may have been for a Giulietta.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
toolbox/bag

Oh good news.

Can all owners of post 20/6/64 cars incorrectly fitted with toolboxes please return them to the owners of correct vehicles delivered pre 20/6/64

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Paul,

Does this help with the question of tool box versus tool bag?

Joe
I think this TSB is a good example of the confusion described above, as it does not mention any spanners (wrenches) or a hammer or a tool roll inside the bag.

A brief look at the 2600, 2600 SZ, 105 Giulia GT/GTV/GTA, TI/Super and 1750 parts catalogs reveals that all of these parts catalogs show roughly the same information as in the pages from the 2600 SZ parts catalog Pub. 1167, issued in 1965, shown below:

The tool kit is depicted in various drawings with about the components shown in post #1 above, but the description lists more tools than shown. It is possible that the TSB doesn't list the additional tools because they were not available as replacements, but then the TSB's statement about "tools now supplied in the kit" must be wrong in the sense that it didn't list all the tools supplied with the cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think this TSB is a good example of the confusion described above, as it does not mention any spanners (wrenches) or a hammer or a tool roll inside the bag.

A brief look at the 2600, 2600 SZ, 105 Giulia GT/GTV/GTA, TI/Super and 1750 parts catalogs reveals that all of these parts catalogs show roughly the same information as in the pages from the 2600 SZ parts catalog Pub. 1167, issued in 1965, shown below:

The tool kit is depicted in various drawings with about the components shown in post #1 above, but the description lists more tools than shown. It is possible that the TSB doesn't list the additional tools because they were not available as replacements, but then the TSB's statement about "tools now supplied in the kit" must be wrong in the sense that it didn't list all the tools supplied with the cars.
I wonder what the "Chiave per Tappi," part number 2400.11504 is? Anyone seen it? I've never seen it listed in any other tool kit.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I wonder what the "Chiave per Tappi," part number 2400.11504 is? Anyone seen it? I've never seen it listed in any other tool kit.
Un tappo (in this sense) is a transmission oil filler plug. The same tool probably also works on the cam cover bolts with the hex recess, but I have never used mine for that job.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Un tappo (in this sense) is a transmission oil filler plug. The same tool probably also works on the cam cover bolts with the hex recess, but I have never used mine for that job.
You're right. It was the picture that threw me. I've never seen it represented as having both heads at the same end.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joe I think the technical bulletin is very useful and I would think is the factories polite way of saying they had ditched their expensive tool box and replaced it with a cheaper tool roll/bag.

Spare a thought for me though everyone. My Sprint was built 4 days after the technical bulletin was published (26/6/64) on 30/6/64! I am not sure whether to laugh or cry. Laugh because I may not have to pay the exorbitant prices that tool boxes seem to go for or cry because I may miss out on having one of these lovely tool boxes in the boot.

Ruedi I am wondering whether what we are dealing with here is the same situation as my other passion -Austin Healey's (I go for all the hyphenated cars starting with A). When they first came out in 52 they had a very comprehensive tool kit which then dwindled away year by year until the end in 66 with only a jack and a spark plug spanner but by 56 you could buy a Supplementary Tool Kit from the dealer which gave you back all the things that had been removed from the supplied kit. Not many sold and they now sell for huge money.

So maybe the 26/6/64 bulletin marked the end of the tool box as a standard fit but comprehensive tool kits could still be purchased but it seems strange they would have these in the 'parts' manual. We need some original owners to come forward and tell us what was really in the cars.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
You're right. It was the picture that threw me. I've never seen it represented as having both heads at the same end.
The single-sided hex wrench is also shown in a slightly different rendition in the 105 Giulia TI/Super (1st picture) and 1750 round tail Spider (2nd picture) parts catalogs:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Ruedi I am wondering whether what we are dealing with here is the same situation as my other passion -Austin Healey's (I go for all the hyphenated cars starting with A). When they first came out in 52 they had a very comprehensive tool kit which then dwindled away year by year until the end in 66 with only a jack and a spark plug spanner but by 56 you could buy a Supplementary Tool Kit from the dealer which gave you back all the things that had been removed from the supplied kit. Not many sold and they now sell for huge money.

So maybe the 26/6/64 bulletin marked the end of the tool box as a standard fit but comprehensive tool kits could still be purchased but it seems strange they would have these in the 'parts' manual. We need some original owners to come forward and tell us what was really in the cars.
It's possible that tool boxes were available as spares until stock ran out but I have never seen any documentation that tool kits were specifically made available as an option.

What complicates the situation is that production date and sales date on record in the archive may differ tremendously, as it seems some cars may have gone to dealers on consignment (or as demonstrators, or were sold but not paid for), came back to the factory for a "refresh" which updated the production date before the final sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts