Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working my way through our newly acquired 2600 and I am wondering how much free play should there be in the steering wheel. It seems from what I have read that the steering on the 2600 is not as precise as the 105. The steering had about 2 to 3 inches of play (50mm to 70 mm) but I adjusted it and it is much better now at about 1 inch (25mm). The free play is all in the box and not the universal joints or steering ball joints. I have not had any experience of the 2600 previously so I would appreciate some advice from those with more experience. The car does not wander at all but just has free play as described in the steering.

Is 25mm acceptable?

Paul

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hi Paul,

70 mm is too much !!!
25 mm is not too bad. But I assume you cool reduce to zero this free play.

On my steering box, I have replaced all functional parts. I have no free play at all.

On these steering box there is 2 possibilities of free play. One on the reference axis that you can set with the screw on the top of the steering box (what you did). The other one on the main axe. This axe is maintained between 2 tapered roller bearing. The free play between these 2 bearings is set up with adjustment shims.

P1100140.jpg

What I may recommend you :
Front wheel raised
Suck the old oil through the hole (unscrew the nut just next to the setting screw mentioned above)
Unscrew the 4 rear screw of the rear plate (where the 2 electrical wires go outside)
Then, you will have access to the adjustment shims. Find the finer and remove it.
Replace the rear plate with the remaining shims and screw the 4 screws.
Check if the free play is better (directly on the steering axe, not with the steering. Efforts should not be much stronger).

P1100152.jpg

If everything is OK, fill in with the same oil than for the gear box.
Control oil level from time to time.

I hope it is clear (not so easy in English ...)

Serge.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Serge provided an excellent description of the procedure mentioned in the owner's manual. Note that this manual mentions zero play but one has to be careful to prevent binding.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2600 Sprint Steering - how much free play?

Thanks PS70 and Tubut. Just the information I needed. I will try the next adjustment and see how I go. The steering box (like the rest of the car) looks restored but it may only be cosmetic.

I presume if I make the adjustment you describe and still have play then I have worn components inside the box.

I am wishing right now that the car was not RHD. The steering box is a whole lot harder to get at than PS70's left hand drive photo.

Thanks again
Paul

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
To tight?

I am not convinced that no free play on a steering box is good. Over tightenning is what leads to damage to the worm , followed by more over tightenning etc etc.

Fill the box with a good steering box oil - Millers or similar. Not EP90 or grease

Then follow technical bullitin attached . Note never exceed 1/2 turn from initial contact of adjusting screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hi Redmerlin,

And thank you for this very interesting document.

Just one question : After back off screww (2) and screw it again, how to be sure that it is just in contact with the end of shaft (3) ?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Good question its a long time since I did mine which I did with the box free off the car.

From memory

1. Clean the screw and thread so everything moves freely

2. Adjust screw as desribed , moving the arm slightly as you adjust , as the screw begins to become harder to turn . there should immediately be no play in the arm.

3. Then add a quarter to half a turn

I think the main recommendation is donot overtighten , ie as soon as the adjusting screw gives no play stop there , then add max half turn.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hi Redmerlin,

I'm just coming up form my garage.
I have followed this procedure to setup my steering box. Easy and fast (15 minutes): Perfect
Now I'm sure that I haven't put to much constraint.

But, this only concern the worm and roller coupling.
In the case of Paul I also recommend him to remove the finer shim to adjust the worm bearing as mentioned above.

Rgds

Serge.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Free play

All this discussion of steering free play reminds me of the first vehicle I ever drove well steered actually, a replica of an early self propelled steam traction engine. I was 14 and in the UK you can still steer a vehicle without a driving license. With everything adjusted the free play on the steering was 180 degrees and you had to swing the steering wheel 90 degrees left then 90 degrees right to go in a straight line. Top speed was only 1.5 mph and we managed 30 miles in 25hrs! Before the crankshaft fell to bits. Original as photo.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts