Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to refurbish my RHD steering box and I tracked down a set of parts in the UK which included a new RHD worm and new roller. Unfortunately when it arrived it turned out to be a LHD worm but by the time I discovered this my steering box was completely dismantled.
Can anyone please provide me with a lead on a RHD worm as my old worm is in very poor condition (chipped teeth and case hardening gone) and I do want to get the car back on the road ASAP.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Steering box

Paul

You have a real challenge here - RHD worm and rollers are now in the hens teeth league now or unobtanium. With so few RHD cars made there are few around. The original Gemmer spares were bought up by a UK owner years ago and used on various 2600s . The norm is to find other old boxes and make the best of them, which is what I did .

I have heard of the worn part of the worm being welded , ground and polished. But yours sounds too damaged for this.

The remaining route is to replace with an alternative box - a ZF box from a Volvo 142

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1900-2000-2600-1950-1968/183653-102-steering-box-conversion.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1900-2000-2600-1950-1968/179152-steering-gear-upgrade.html

Search Volvo on this board and you will find details,

I have also seen a sprint in Australia converted to a steering rack , but this involved raising the engine and did not look elegant .

good luck
Ian

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ian
I am aware of the Volvo possibilities and I also drew the same conclusion as you about the steering rack conversion down south of me here. The company that sent me the wrong worm are also trying to correct the situation but I am not confident given the rarity involved.

Hopefully someone out there will have something for me if I am patient.

Paul

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Early Ford V8 Gemmer Steering

Hi all -the hunt continues. I read somewhere that some Ford vehicles in the 50's had a version of a Gemmer Steering box so I did a bit of surfing and I found this website selling worms and rollers for Ford boxes that look remarkably like our Alfa Romeo items.
Early Ford Store of Ca - Early_Ford_Parts New and Used Original Parts for 1928-1959 Cars & Trucks

I have sent them an email asking them to compare dimensions etc. Has anyone else followed this line of enquiry before?

·
Administrator
12,570 Posts
I'm trying to understand why the worm would be different for LHD versus RHD boxes ... confused?
Pete

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
Qld....

San Dimas is just a few hundred miles south of me. I'll call them next week and see whet I can find out. I've got at least 3 different variations of the worm and sector for 1900-102-106 cars. I've got some nearly-perfect but used replacement parts, but would like to investigate new ones, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RHD Worm

I'm trying to understand why the worm would be different for LHD versus RHD boxes ... confused?
Pete
A RHD vs a LHD box casting is on the opposite side (they both go on the inside of the chassis rail) and therefore the worm turns the opposite way. This photo should explain.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Qld....

San Dimas is just a few hundred miles south of me. I'll call them next week and see whet I can find out. I've got at least 3 different variations of the worm and sector for 1900-102-106 cars. I've got some nearly-perfect but used replacement parts, but would like to investigate new ones, for obvious reasons.
I have sent them an email asking to give me the dimensions for the clockwise worms they have (which seem to be for pickups). I am not expecting them to be exactly the same as ours but if they are close enough we could be lucky.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have just ordered one from the supplier and will compare it to the one I am presently rebuilding, as soon as it arrives I will advise as to the fit.
John
63 2600 Spider

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
As a cautionary note...

I know you're working on a RHD, so this may not apply.

I've got 4 LHD boxes at present. If memory serves, 3 of them have a 2 groove/3 ridge sector gear, and the other has a 1 groove, 2 ridge sector. There are at least two different worm gear shaft ODs. None of the worm gears will match up with a sector from a different set.

However, measuring by eyeball, it looks like matched gear sets might replace another set, so long as the input (worm) shaft sizes match.

I looked at the referenced supplier web page, and see they offer some sector gears as well. If you find the worm you ordered fits your shaft and box dimensions, but isn't a happy mate to the sector, perhaps another Ford piece will bring it good. When I get home I'm going to look into this, partly In hopes the bearings they offer will fit as well.

·
Administrator
12,570 Posts
A RHD vs a LHD box casting is on the opposite side (they both go on the inside of the chassis rail) and therefore the worm turns the opposite way. This photo should explain.
Thanks. I'll try and process that upstairs and come to an understanding.

At the moment all I can think is that when I turn the steering wheel to the right, the steering box rotates clockwise pushing the back of the left wheel out and pulling the back of the right wheel in. That does not change if the car is LHD or RHD ... :confused:

Maybe when I rebuild my GTV steering box it will make sense :)
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a spare RHD steering box which is currently being refurbished by Simon at Steering Services in Dorking. He is going to use a Steering kit from Marles and reuse the original worm, which is slightly pitted but hopefully still serviceable. My only option really with no worms available any where.

I hope this will be a great improvement on the box I have in my car, which gives me awful steering wobble if I hit a bump in the road.

I may ask him to hold off on the rebuild with news of this possible replacement worm. It does look very similar to my unit but I guess only actual comparison will prove either way.

Simon could get me a new worm manufactured but the cost of a 1 off is prohibitive, maybe if all us poor RHD owners could get together a group purchase could be an option for the future.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Someone should try to contact John Mayhead, who used to own Alfa Retro (now defunct). I seem to recall that he bought some brand new worms and rollers from a friend of mine about three years ago. He's no longer in the business but still appears to be doing something on Facebook. Might be worth a try?

I'm pretty sure that Tandler Precision made a run of LHD worms for one of the German Alfa clubs several years ago.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ian and Alex,
Being down under it is a bit hard for me to follow up some of these things so your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tandler

Alex, Paul & Ian
Just a possible update on the Tandler lead. I heard they had made some worms etc so at Race Retro a couple of years ago I had a chat with their guys, I got a story that their German MD (CEO) had a 2600and had a batch of gears made but they weren't going to do it again? (Why?) However there was another story going around about a batch of the gears that were made but incorrectly hardened and they all "chewed up". I am in no way linking Tandler to this story in case any one is a lawyer and thinks there is a case here! but it is just what was being said.
I put another chap onto Tandler who was after my steering box and he wanted a couple of RHD sets. So I am thinking there must be a sizeable demand for a RHD batch of these to be made. Alas I am a long long way off requiring these but have a couple of steering boxes that are bound to need going through.
Shame about John Mayhead packing it in as I'd just made contact when he was in Blandford not 15 minutes away, and he moved his operation and we never quite made the meeting that we casually arranged.
The powers of supply and demand I assume.
Ian let us know what happens with the excess stock!
Regards to all
Bryan

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Search for RHD Steering Worm

Just to update everyone. I am following a lead on a RHD worm from Europe and I am still talking to the Ford people. I will update everyone when I get some more news.

·
Registered
206 Posts
RHD VS LHD

Hi all, I received the roller from the Ford Parts outfit, it appears to be a RHD roller and from the measurements I took it appears to be of the same dimensions as my LHD just reversed. If someone either in England or Australia would like to compare it to an original just pay for the shipping and I will send it over for yours to keep.
John

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
I noted in their pictorial listings that they had rollers with both direction threads. Have you spoken to them about what we would consider a LHD worm, as well as the "sector" that might match their worms?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts