Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It kills me to post this...... after rebuilding the water pump on my new 2600 sprint I was logging laps around the shop and 50 yards away from home I was hit by a drunk driver.... the car is repairable but I need a donor car or new sheet metal.... this s the nicest 2600 I have ever belonged to. I'm sick over this. Any help is appreciated.
Ric.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Some repair panels (e.g. wheel arches) are available from Eric van Cauwenberg in Belgium. I think you need a parts car, such as the one shown in this thread.

·
Push hard and live
9,605 Posts
May we assume the other driver was well enough insured to handle the total cost of this repair? It won't be the sort of cost the insurance company would typically face for this type of damage to a modern car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
May we assume the other driver was well enough insured to handle the total cost of this repair? It won't be the sort of cost the insurance company would typically face for this type of damage to a modern car.
I don't know about the situation in Daytona, but when I lived in South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft. lauderdale, Miami), it was said that 40% of the drivers on the road had no insurance and most of those had no driver license. In a similar incident there, it would be a sure bet that the driver was uninsured. When I moved to rural North Florida, my car insurance dropped 40%.
Larry Bono

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larry,
I'm afraid you are spot on. I will know in the AM. Habitual drunk driver in someone elses car... junk pontiac whatever, s^%t bomb. Police said she was going to prison, not jail. something like 20 DUI convictions... Revoked license never to supposed to drive again. I am pretty sure my Garage keepers liability has uninsured motorist and a pretty good max damage. Hoping..... I was told that the car was insured by allstate but that could be a lie, the owner and friend of the drunk lady, showed up at the crash site and gave the police a policy number. I have a great attorney and will most surely need him even with my company paying, as I'm sure they are only good at billing not paying. It is just that I feel responsible as the car was in my care. I spent 3 weeks on a car that sat for 30 years and it responded with love. The car has 50,000 2 owner original miles and It is just a big sideways deal for me that's all. I will fix the car in short order. What I need is a donor chassis to make things easier. Any leads will be appreciated.
Ric

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bernhard
I sent you a PM with my email info..... its easier for me that way. Please send some pictures along when you can. I found a metal man in south FL. Feeling a little better today. My car drives straight and the steering wheel is straight, so I'm pretty happy about that. No comes the insurance game.
Mille Grazie
Ric

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sorry about your car

But in some ways it is not all that bad. There was a 2600 sprint in a wrecking yard in California from which a guy sent me pieces for my two liter sprint. It had good sheet metal but no interior. It did have a good spare tire well which he cut out and sent me. You might also contact Tom Zat in Minnesota who I believe has a hulk or two there. There may be several rotting in wrecking yards through the US. On almost none is there any decent metal below mid door. Most of your damage is above bumper height. So get your local auto wrecker on his computer looking through his connections to find one. The tops of fenders don't usually rust out and a good metal man can graft and tap out so your car will be okay. May your ALFA run forever. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems as though there is a different reverence for the big Alfas of this time than the giulia, giulietta fold that I know and pretty much exist in.. I have a feeling this is changing for me. This car found me. This 50,000 mile bertone sprint was previously owned by an Italian immigrant farmer type man, who shipped the car over from Padova IT to Washington state in 1978 and cared for drove and loved it as he loved his farming machinery until there was cause to remove the sprint from the road in 1982. my guess ...... the water pump?? Mr Boscolo then carefully put the car into storage, draining the fuel tank leaving the solex's dry and life took its toll...
As I reach out to y'all for help, I realize that these cars are far more personal and significant than I ever imagined . I have found a metal guy in FL that is my age ...... mid 60's Argentinian born and schooled in Italy building and fabricating pieces for F1-2-3 racing cars, that is capable of building the panels that are deficient to as new on my new car..... So now all that is left is the game of money to see who has what..... I could have a broken hip and femur and facing a year in rehabilitation....... but instead I work every day on other peoples loved cars and can't wait till my sprint is finished ....... What a car!!!
Ric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts