Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I saw that on the market there are two soft tops for the 2600 Spider: one called 2 + 2 and the other not.

As long as I find the shape of the 2600 spider hood rather squat and clumsy, do you have any photos that show the differences between the two mentioned above?

Is the frame the same or is it different between the 2 + 2 and the "2"?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
I'm not aware of any variants from the factory with respect to 2600 soft tops -- or. more specifically, soft top frames. There are differences, though, between 102 and 106 soft top frames (resulting in different silhouettes) and there can be differences for 2600 after-market soft tops (especially the zipper for the rear 'window').

AFAIK, the 2600 Spider was always referred to as 2+2, as shown in early press picture below (which looks like a joke, as at least one of the adults on the rear seat cannot sit straight) and the rear seat pans being formed into the chassis panels. I believe the last year of 102 Spider production (1961) saw the car re-designated from a 2-seater to a 2+2, with a different rear seat (that seemed more like a bench). Much of these changes seem to have been driven by market expectations.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ruedi,

I'm asking because OKP (and other providers too), have two soft tops for the 2600.

They say 2-seater up to 1962, 2+2 or 4 seater after that year.

I would understand if there is a diference in shape: of course if the two seater top is like the one of the 2000, I would choose this one.

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Strange. I didn't see any reference to model year on the OKP site (all 106 cars were post-'62, and they show a different image for the 102 soft top). Either way, it may be worth asking the suppliers what they exactly mean with the 2 versions (for example, it is possible that S1 and S2 cars had different canvas). Ideally, the manufacturer would provide pictures that show how the 2 versions differ.

The 102 soft top will not fit the 106 frame. 102 soft top frames and soft tops probably would have to be adapted to fit the 106 body shape because the curvature behind the rear seats is different. I believe 106 cars had only 1 type of soft top frame -- hence it is very unlikely that the 2 soft top versions differ in shape (but, as alluded to above, certain features may be different).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts