Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have just purchased a 1964 2600 spider - which amazingly has never had seatbelts fitted - driving like this is legal in the UK but dum. 110 mph with no seat belts is fairly scary when you have worn them for 25 years. However , to pursuade my wife into the car or get permission for the kids to ride , I need to fit belts.

I have found the original installation drawings in French on this BB and in English on the cardisc CD I bought , but these appear to only show two point mountings

If antbody has them can you post photos of a good seat belt set-up and mounting points. I am worried about fouling the soft top as it is raised and lowered

Or please point me to any old threads on this

Come the Summer I can photograph cars at shows - but I need the belts fitted before then - Catch 22

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Henry

Thank You , I was thinking of going to quickfit as they have done belts for me before.

A couple of questions - did you have inertia or static belts fitted?

How much did they charge to supply and fit the belts?

Do any interior panels have to be removed to fit the belts, the screws on mine are rusted in and I'll try and losen them first to save quickfit time

If you have a photo of the upper rear belt mounting I would be interested

Where are you in tne UK it would be nice to see another spider

Ian

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hi Ian,

I had static belts fitted, since I thought the inertia reel could interfere with the soft top mechanism (and I was probably right).

I'm not in the UK, I'm in Mexico, but Quickfit sent me the seatbelts and I installed them using the instructions I posted a few days ago.

Here are some pictures of the mounts for the belts, hope they help

Let me know if I can help in any way

Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henry

Thak You for the photos

Can you confirm which belt kit you prorchased form Quikfit

Also were there any mountings fitted on the car or did you have to make your own?

regards

Ian

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

Hi

I have just purchased a 1964 2600 spider - which amazingly has never had seatbelts fitted - driving like this is legal in the UK but dum. 110 mph with no seat belts is fairly scary when you have worn them for 25 years. However , to pursuade my wife into the car or get permission for the kids to ride , I need to fit belts.

Ian
Well, when your 2600 Spider was new, no cars, exept Volvo from 1959 on, had seat belts. Not untill 1970 did it become law that 3 points seat belts fitting points should be made available in passenger cars - there should be fitting points for 2 points belts from '68 in cars sold in the US.
Rememner stoddy brackets behind the fittings holds that are drilled in the body.

I should probably not write this, and don't show it to the wife. If safety is high on your's/your wife's agenda, don't drive a classic car, ANY. Safety was not designed into cars untill much later, from the 90'ties on. Even to-day many cars on sales in Europe and elsewhere are not rearly safe, they just barely leaps true the legal formalities.
Erik

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Erik
I agree with all your points . I was just addressing my wife's simple logic - no belts = not safe. with belts = safe . The fact that you are more likely to die in a classic car, I haven't raised
regards
Ian

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think the lesson here is that everything has a degree of risk associated with it. The only recourse we have is to take whatever steps we can to minimize those risks.

With a classic car, these steps are primarily limited to:

1. installation of quality restraints (seatbelts of whatever configuration is possible and desirable).

2. highest state of maintenance of all car systems including brakes, tires, steering and throttle-responsive systems.

3. safe driving

4. defensive driving

Last year I saw the aftermath of a one car accident, caused by someone trying to pass in a no-passing zone. It was a car that accordianned itself into a 12" diameter tree. The car shrunk from its normal 15' length into approx 1/2 that size. No equipment could have saved that driver from his stupid decision.

the lesson is that any speed may or may not be appropriate relative to conditions of car or environment and risk is an individual choice.

enjoy your car, cherish your spouse......life is short

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I fully agree, I, too, have an Alfa Spider Classico, anno 1970, and I, too, have had seat belt fitted and drive with restain and enjoy it, all the same.
As I wrote, should probably not writing this. But we shall not kit ourselves into beliving that our old lovely cars are as safe as new cars if we fit some safely equiebment.
Incidently, Spider S2s from 1970, is the year that fixing points for 3 point belts were introduced.
What scares me most in modern trafic are all the 4x4 manuths with drivers that feels safe so they bulley the rest of road users.
Erik

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI. Any advice onseat belts for the rear ?

Hi

I have found the original installation drawings in French on this BB and in English on the cardisc CD I bought , but these appear to only show two point mountings

If antbody has them can you post photos of a good seat belt set-up and mounting points. I am worried about fouling the soft top as it is raised and lowered

Or please point me to any old threads on this

Come the Summer I can photograph cars at shows - but I need the belts fitted before then - Catch 22

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have just manged to complete the front belts- the Alfa proposed method of fitting does not work.

I have used the MGB mountings as shown for the front belts - positioned as on the Alfa fitting instructions - so they can be disconnectd when you lift /lower the hood.

You could fit these as on the MGB on the top deck to give a secure mounting - if you did not mind the holes in the deck

I'll post pictures of my mounting later

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts