Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows of a supplier for the rear tail light seal that goes between the lens and the tail light body(originally a narrow cream color seal..?
part #102.04.65.104.00/03
Please let me know
Herve

·
Push hard and live
11,028 Posts
I made new gaskets by pouring a tray of plaster of paris, tamping in an original gasket, scraping with a plastic scraper to make it all flat, and allowing it to harden. Then, after removing the original gasket I squirted in white silicone rubber, scraping it flush to the plaster, and letting it harden. Worked very nicely.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea..what kind of silicone did you use? regular white bathroom silicone?
How did you prevent the silicone from sticking to the plaster once dry?
Herve

·
Push hard and live
11,028 Posts
I don't recall the specific brand or description of the silicone, but it was white and in a tube that is squeezed by a caulking gun. Probably a bathtub silicone would be fine when you consider the service we're asking of it. The resulting gasket was pretty floppy, but the strength was OK and I'm confident they'll serve.

For the first several gaskets I sprayed the mold with silicone spray. After the stuff had hardened over night I used an Exacto knife to cut around the edges, after which they pretty much pulled out with no difficulty.

The hardest part was getting the bed of plaster as flat as possible while the original gasket was being pressed into it. I spent some time with a plastic epoxy squeegee, and got an acceptable result.

I also made new gaskets for the lozenge-shaped front turn signal lenses using this technique.

Cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts