Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Can anybody help with a description and measurements of the correct chrome rocker trim spear dimensions and profile for 1964 touring spider 106 ?
My understand is that the correct one has a square profile sits off the sill about 5mm & about 13mm wide with a blunt chisel end, perhaps @60 deg ...... but this is all google guesswork and a photo of one in alfa museum .
There seems to be as many different lengths / profiles as there are cars .
many thanks
K

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Supply of these profiles has been intermittent at best (some of the main 2600 parts suppliers occasionally seemed to offer them). You can see the profile in this thread. AlfaBB member "franco-veloce" made a few of them (see this thread) -- maybe he can be convinced to make some more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ruedi for your prompt reply
I had found the 2nd thread but not the first which shows opposite ends are different
So are the correct ones are blunt with a curve at one end & shallow taper chisel at the other ?-- which end goes to the front ?
Could not find any measurements on either thread.
I have someone who will make me a set if I get him measurements .
I live in Ireland so even if I find second hand or new ones the cost of postage will be prohibitive.

Tnx K

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Both ends are the same (rounded on one side). I don't have any good period pictures (or scans of the press picture / foldout brochure copied below) handy to check whether the rounded edges should be at the top or bottom of the side spears (my guess is they're at the bottom end -- maybe others can chime in).

SX129.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks - so same at both ends , with possibly right angle on top and curve on bottom.
Can anyone help with Height x Width x length ?
K

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Great, thanks - so same at both ends , with possibly right angle on top and curve on bottom.
Can anyone help with Height x Width x length ?
K
I managed to stop by the garage today and take some pictures and dimensions:

Overall length of the 2600 side spears are ca. 65-5/8 in (1672 mm). The profile width and height are not entirely consistent: The side view shows the profile is a slightly asymmetrical trapezoid with convex rather than straight sides. The dimension vary a bit because the ends seem to be slightly flared (probably a result of production tolerances) and the front/back side of the spears are protruding slightly (like a shovel). The first two pictures show the rounded corner on the left side of the image. The back sides are bent over to form flaps that are about 4 mm (5/32 in) wide.

Also worth noting is that the spears are curved lengthwise to follow the profile of the body.

P1040909 (cropped + 700 wide + markup 2-4).png

P1040907 (cropped + 700 wide).jpg

P1040915 (cropped + 700 wide).jpg

P1040908 (cropped + 700 wide).jpg

Reactions: chris hedley

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ruedi for such a comprensive reply. I will pass these on and see if i can get them made.
Kieran

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
hi Kieran, I don't know where you live , OKP sell these with the fittings ,also Franco ,who is usually on here, was making some and selling them. They are both in Europe .

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi yes i spotted opk ones , I live in Ireland I think they would cost about €500 landed here.
thanks Kieran

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
There may also be an issue with shipping, as the side spears are longer than 150 cm (5 ft), which many postal services and carriers do not allow, and thus the parcel may have to be treated as costly freight rather than mail.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got a set from OKP about a year ago and they cane in a mailing tube. Freight was not prohibitive. Think they came FedEx which is what OKP usually uses to send things to US. However, they were not rounded on the ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts