Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
father and son project, not for resale. prefer solid body example with original engine. mechanical issues ok

full nut and bolt restoration and then use, by us.

located new england and MD. happy to come look.

to clarify - we are talking about late '50s/early 60's Touring spiders. thanks for the emails so far...

[email protected]

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Found this in the always ever safe craigslist. Its not in New England, but might be worth it. Not sure what year you are looking for........

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4959615117.html
Yeah. A "2000 or 2600 Touring Spider" is a completely different car from the later 115 cars.

Hope you guys find one. Mine was used as an intro to shop fun and safety for my then-6-year old grandson. Great fun, and now he's better at wearing safety goggles and picking up tools than I am.

They pop up now and then, but the prices of "restorable" cars keeps going up while the quality defined as restorable goes down.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hahahaha....about 30 minutes after I responded, I realized that you weren't looking for a 115 Spider. Oh well, do I get any points for trying? haha. I'll keep my eyes out for one. Good Luck!

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
The main difference between the 102/106 and the 115 is the former have had longer to rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for quick reply and assistance. I edited my post to clarify that we are looking for late 50s, early 60s Touring body models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the 2600 that was recently posted on Ebay, in CT. was amply modified with fiberglass on the lower 1/4 of the body so I had no idea what would be there once stripped. Sheet metal for 2600s is very hard to get, so I was looking at custom replacement panels, too

Seller was firm on a price that I thought was a bit much, given the mystery under the paint, so I passed.

It's still there if anyone else is interested and not intent on full nut and bolt resto. It runs fine and looks fine (bad respray up close), but does have extensive rework in the rockers and rear shroud that may be hiding bigger problems, but not 100% sure. Floorpans will need replacement eventually, too.

I definitely want to do a proper full body and mechanical restoration, as this is a learning project for my son. Some folks just want a car to drive occasionally that works and looks decent. This is that car. It's too expensive for me to justify the full restoration investment, though.

I can fully rebuild all mechanicals myself, but body work is really an art (I worked at a body shop one school break to learn basics) and since I dont own a rotisserie, I would be outsourcing that, and would prefer a solid body example if possible, to minimize cutting and welding. I included a pic of my 11 yr old and me under the car, showing him the problems. you can see the car looks fine from 10 feet away, and it runs fine.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Interestingly, body panels for 102, and 106 cars are more available now than since the cars were new. There are at least two vendors that can provide high quality replacements.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don, who do you recommend for panels?
Know youre not a fan of Wolf...

Im getting mine blasted and know the floors are shot
Rear quarter and rockers are a mystery that blasting will uncover
fingers crossed

Peter

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
I used Erik van Cauwenbergh, and was entirely satisfied with quality, price, and service. I've heard the same report of Franco's panels, but have not used them.

Erik, at least when I did business with him, did not participate in email or other such silly modernities. I faxed him what I wanted, he faxed me back the price, I transferred the money, he made the parts and shipped them.

Here's a copy of his catalog page, if that's what we should call it.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Perfect, kinda prefer it that way, seems more old school craftsman like
my swiss Topolino guy is similar

thanks for the referral

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts