Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cleaning up the engine bay on my 2600 spider - unearthed a painted over tag - after going through layers of black and then white paint - got down to metal. Does anyone know the significance of the tag and what color it should be for original? Attached are pictures of the tag and the location (passenger side firewall) of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
This tag is the Carrozzeria Touring job number (aka "scocca" number) that was used to mark the chassis and parts (such as trim pieces) custom fitted to that chassis. The location is correct.

Further discussions can be found in here and here (and also in some other threads related to 102 cars). As a rule of thumb, if you add 191,000 to the scocca number, it is within a range of +/- 100 of the AR chassis number, i.e. 2,143 + 191,000 = 193,143. Since Fusi's production numbers end at 193,155, your car was probably made not long before Touring went into bankruptcy and the formula may not be accurate due to cars being produced out of sequence. What's your chassis number?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Ruedi - My chassis number is 193082. Look to be 1964 on production, but registered as a 1965. Any idea n the correct color of the tag? Metal or painted?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I've seen several cars that gave me the impression Touring installed these tags before the engine compartment was painted black, as indicated by paint on the tag, the screws that hold it (with paint peeling off as the screws rust), and a small ridge of paint around the tag when removed -- but I'm not sure that's always true.

I bead blasted my tag, put rust converter on it and installed it looking bare metal, with a flat sheen, giving a nice contrast to the engine compartment painted with Eastwood Chassis Black. Should I end up not liking the look, it's easy to take off the tag and paint it (or paint it in place) at a later point in time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I believe it is correct to call this a "scocca number". I am not sure it was assigned by Touring. That is what the Touring ID plate is for. I think that the platform onto which the Touring body was made by an outside supplier and this plate probably was fitted by that entity as a tracking number and billing number. The 2000cc platforms have a similar tag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts