Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'm new to the 2600 spider club, having just acquired a 64. Lots of questions...don't know where to start on tech end for now but have some history/model spec etc. questions.

I would like to find a photo of a 2600 with a factory hardtop or a photo with an aftermarket hardtop, IF you know who the source or maker of the hardtop was.

Thanks

David

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
Here are some pictures of the 2600 factory hardtop on Woody Hale's car (when he sold the car on eBay in Nov-2004):

Attachments

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
This is my car with an aftermarket fiberglass hardtop (the only one of its kind I've sever seen):

2002-jul-26 alfa (front 640x480) 029.jpg
2002-jul-26 alfa (rear 640x480) 028.jpg

Edit 07-Jan-2011: A question came up in post #14 of this thread whether or not my hardtop had a ventilation slot -- and it does! The slot is about 1/2" high and about 4" deep. Here's a detail picture (although not a great one):

DSC01629 (700 wide).jpg

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
And here are pictures of a factory hardtop that was for sale on eBay:

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I would be interested. Please please EMAIL directly or PM only with details.

Thank you.

David

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi David,
This hard top came off a 2000 Spyder, and Tubut thinks there will be a problem fitting to a 2600 rdstr!......... However, Two litre Lover says that the early 2600 rdstrs. are compatible..What year is your car?
The hard top has been unused for about four years, and is hanging in the rafters of the garage. It is trimmed, in good shape and painted red, although a bit faded.
Cheers, Adrian

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
2600 said:
Hi David,
This hard top came off a 2000 Spyder, and Tubut thinks there will be a problem fitting to a 2600 rdstr!......... However, Two litre Lover says that the early 2600 rdstrs. are compatible..What year is your car?
The hard top has been unused for about four years, and is hanging in the rafters of the garage. It is trimmed, in good shape and painted red, although a bit faded.
Cheers, Adrian
FYI: The information that 2000 and 2600 hardtops are not interchangeable came from twoliterlover in paragraph 5 of this post (Post #34 of this thread). Re-reading this paragraph again, I see that Jay made a disclaimer that the 102 hardtops may fit early 106 spiders.

So I'd say: Adrian, if you (and Richard's mom) are up to having the hardtop hauled around, let's try and see how it fits on AR191437, AR191450 or AR191509.

BTW: Here are some pictures (taken about 3 years ago) of the 102 hardtop Adrian is referring to, and a picture in a 102 sales brochure (taken from the Cardisc CD):

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks Ruedi, I was hoping you'd jump in. Yes, of course we should try the top on your car, and lay this dragon for all time, and then we'll be able to give Haden an informed answer.
When would you be available? As I can access the top any time, load it into the ute and meet you at the car.
Adrian

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The number is on a number plate inside the lower rear of the hardtop it is the serial number of the hardtop and it is a Touring number; I am pretty sure that it is independent of the body number of the car (unless you happen to have ...0001 of each:). Surely only a small number of hardtops were made.

Nardi builds a beautiful steering wheel! Once Matt Jones (ReOriginals) supplied one for us but it just did not seem right for this car, so it went on ebay. We did the same thing with a set of beautiful Italian wool carpets after waiting 6 -8 months (the color was just wrong for the car). If I remember correctly, Ruedi won the carpet set(?). Rueid's aftermarket top looks real cool with the rear scoop.

Does anyone have a photograph showing the "around the block's fairings" that Jay mentioned?

Also, I am fairly certain that the 2000 hard top(s) will not fit the 2600; likewise, the 2600 top will not fit the 2000 (like Jay said without some grinding... and other serious modification). Barrie Hutchinson and I tried to put a 2000 top on his gorgeous 2600 and the top was not even close to fitting.

The right top will fit the car like it was custom made for it; it is not that easy to install the hardtop. The factory hardtop is also heavy; which probably explains why so many have a missing rear window...from being dropped.

Happy New Year!

Ciao,
Mark

·
Push hard and live
11,120 Posts
Fiberglas hardtop for 102/106

Hello Ruedi,
It appears my hardtop is the same as yours, having a sort of rearward-facing vent. However, my vent is just a design element and is not open to pass air. Your picture seems to show the vent open, or it may be the way the shadow falls on the back of the feature making it appear to be open. Can you confirm if it is closed or open, and if it is open, how the air-flow is handled inside?

This i smy car with an aftermarket fiberglass hardtop (the only one of its kind I've sever seen):

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the top that came with my car; obviously aftermarket as it's fiberglass- a pretty high and rounded look; it is fairly light but has rather crude hardware and poor weatherstripping. Have no idea as to who made/sold it, but I don't use it (this is the car as I bought it....gray now)

David

Attachments

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
There was a similar looking hardtop on eBay a while ago (possibly about Mar-2010 but I don't remember for sure):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hard tops in Posts 14 and 15 are Parish Plastic

Notice that in both of the photo sets the rear of the hard top sits on the lip of the deck opening, not caught behind on the hooks. I suspect I originally bought both of these and they have over the years passed on to the current owners. The one Peterson has may be plastic, but it was not made by the Parish plastics company. The ones I bought and later sold did NOT have glass rear windows, and had foam rubber headliners. I believe that since they are made of plastic that they were (are) probably flexible enough to fit either two liter or 2600 (perhaps both equally unwell?). I ordered them for a two liter, and had a sale on one before I got them. I used the other until I got the one I still use from a car imported from Switzerland that had also nardi wheel, fairings around the block, etc. as well as the perfectly fitting hardtop. I still remember crying when that car drove off from a park in Roseburg, Oregon where I had delivered it to the buyer. It was bright yellow. The buyer painted it grey and sold it to a lady in Fresno who blew the engine trying to merge onto the freeway from the shoulder near Modesto. She traced the car back to me and brought it to me on a trailer. After rebuilding the engine my wife and I had a wonderful trip to Fresno in it -- followed for forty miles by the CHP which drove me near insane. They were sure I was going to finally crack and step on it. Car was sold years later in New York area with part of the sakes literature mentioning that I had once owned it. It was my first European version spider with no center chrome on the hood, and it also caused me to look for and finally find a set of side winker turn markers for my car fenders. Hope it still exists.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Although this doesn't address the original post,it is related information and hopefully helps.Here are a few scans from a "Regal"fiberglas catalog showing hardtops with two dysfunctional scoops and a recessed acrylic rear window,much like the top shown in posts #14-#15.Mentions a plastic headliner as well.One of these tops is on Ebay right now,but for the 750 Giulietta.Just my opinion,but looks pretty good.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
11,120 Posts
I think my hardtop is one of these, with the non-functional rearward facing "scoop". Jay has always stated that the top for the 102 mounts ahead of the rear deck hold-down fittings, but I think mine go behind. Not sure. Maybe they go in front, which I think would sacrifice some of the perfect curves of the factory hardtop.

Contrary to the statements in their ad above the top does not seem to have been made with the "best materials available", as the chrome has peeled away and the fiberglass showing plenty of cracks. Of course, its a little more than 50 years old, and most of us have some peeling and cracking at that age.

I'll eventually restore my top, but would rather find an OE metal unit that was rebuildable. That fake scoop sort of makes me frown, although the rest of the car has plenty of non-functional design elements as well. Shark fin cooling vents? Ha.

·
Registered
168 Posts
2000 hard top

Hi, a bit off topic, in September I had my original hard top fitted on my 2000 and it took several hours to fit considering that I had made the mistake of not restoring the hard top with the body. I do not really like how it fits but probably non fit as one would wish to have them fit. for mine to fit (and take off), you have to undo the central chrome bit at the back and then tighten it when the top is on. I did not witness the fitting, not patient enough, but today I had the same person take off the hard top again as the car is going for some filming tomorrow for a Dutch music video, hoping that it does not rain (no soft top on and not allowed by my son to use when the roads are wet!).

now, my odd question is how and which is the best way to store the hard top? at the moment I put it on another car (Fiat 850 coupe) which of course cannot be used for now. I am looking forward to building (enlarging) a garage I have at the back of the house and would like to have something fitted to pull up the hard top and storing it without damaging it or the upholstery.

another question, my rubber for the rear glass does not have the chrome (plastic?) part that it should have, anyone knows where to buy this from?

thanks
Charles

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts