Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search function is not working, so I will post this in a new thread. A few months ago, I rebuilt a 2600 differential which had rust-pitted ring and pinion gears. I had the gears coated with a ceramic coating which is not to fill rust pits but just makes the parts more slippery. It is mainly a surface treatment and causes no appreciable dimensional change. I used all new bearings in the rebuild. I also have the factory tool for setting the pinion depth. I have now installed this unit and am happy to report that it is quiet and a great improvement to my other differential which was incredibly noisy and has damaged pinion gear teeth. I have taken only a short drive but am happy with it so far. If it changes for the worse with more mileage, I will post more information later. Following are some pictures. The first shows the homemade axle puller in use. Next is the axle ready to be removed by hand. The brake backing plate is not original and is what I rigged up to install Triumph TR7 parts for the hand brake. This car has been converted to rear disc brakes, but when I got it, there were no parts in the hand brake drums, so I modified Triumph parts to work. Then the rebuilt differential on a dolly ready to be rolled under the car. I used a floor jack under the dolly to raise it into position. I replaced the axle seals before putting it all back together. Since I originally did the driveline work on this car, I have learned the proper way to use lock wire by watching jet engine mechanics demonstrate the technique on You Tube, so I took this opportunity to re-do the safety wire on the U-joints and the last picture shows that.

Larry Bono

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
Did you spot the factory-new-in-factory-crate 2600 complete rear end assembly on eBay recently? Up at Alfa Heaven in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see the complete rear axle. I think it is still listed and would be a nice addition for a high-end rebuild.
Larry Bono

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
SCM's recent edition discused cars that had entered the "value equals top quality restoration cost". Although they didn't mention the 106, they did the Montreal and SS. The 2600 appears to have equal appreciation to those two cars in the market place.

So, does a first rank restoration include TR7 brakes?

A new, original, correct rear axle assembly might pay for itself in market value.

Penny wise, pound foolish?

Your car. Your call.

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
SCM's recent edition discused cars that had entered the "value equals top quality restoration cost". Although they didn't mention the 106, they did the Montreal and SS. The 2600 appears to have equal appreciation to those two cars in the market place.

A new, original, correct rear axle assembly might pay for itself in market value.

Penny wise, pound foolish?

Your car. Your call.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SCM's recent edition discused cars that had entered the "value equals top quality restoration

Don, I don't play in that league. My car is not a "first rank restoration". When I got this car in about 1971, we had Hemmings Motor News to find parts and that was about it, so I assumed I would never find the hand-brake parts and made do with what I could find. My hand-brake works quite well. I cannot use drum brakes on the rear because I have Borrani wire wheels that are 15" diameter and 6 1/2" wide. The original drums will not fit inside them. I have no other wheels. If I wanted to return the car to original disc wheels, I would need new front hubs also.

I will have to leave the "first rank restorations" to masters like Bernhard in Austria. Over a period of 30 years, I did nearly all the work on this car myself. I made parts, did all the body work, including a lot of body solder, painted the car myself with acrylic lacquer, fitted the canvas top, fitted the hard top, made door cards and covered them with leather. I had a pro to cover the dash with leather and it is very nice. I had machine work done on engine parts and had the discs turned, but everything else I did all by myself with no helpers. I even did some of the chrome plating. It is a nice street restoration, but not close to a show car. I think is is beautiful and I love it but I am 78 and 125 pounds and I know that I will have to sell it when I can no longer play with it, because I cannot afford to pay pros to work on it and I don't want to burden my son with disposing it. He lives in Los Angeles and has no place to store it. Besides, he has a Ferrari. So I will accept whatever price it will bring at that time, but it will not have a new $10,000 rear axle.
Larry Bono

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Many European AR 2600s got Ford Transit Van real axles as new ones don't exsist and parts for repairing old AR axles at more or less imposible to find.
Many 2600 Berlinas have donated parts incl. rear axles to Sprints and Spiders, even the total gearing is lower.
So repairing the finel drive and finding brake parts that fit is fine in my opinion. One more 2600 lives on and is enjoyed by the owner.

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
Larry,

I fully understand and agree.

My point really had to do with the changing market appreciation for the 2600. All of our beloved Alfas were once just used, and under-appreciated sporty cars. We did what we had to do, and could afford, to keep them rolling.

The SCM article put things in good perspective, I think. At some point, a type of car can move from one category to another. They can become so highly valued that any cost to restore can be recovered. I'm not suggesting your car fits that status, or that you have any duty to take that route even if it did. It probably will move to the "restoration" class soon, although I do believe the 2600 is there now. Nice to contemplate our cars having a positive future.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thank you Larry to share these pictures with us. Congratulation for the result (I know it is not an easy work ...)
Your car looks beautiful.

Serge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts