Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
Today, I tried for the first time to get my Sprint out of the garage since 10 months and it appears I couldn't change gears !
10 months ago, it went into the garage using the gearbox without any problem.
Recently, I rebuild the slave cylinder becaused it was leaking using a kit I bought in germany. Then I bleed the circuit.
Anything specific to check ? Could I have done something wrong when rebuilding the slave cylinder ?
Thanks for any tips !
Lionel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,
I checked a few things :
- I have no leaks, both master cylinder and slave cylinder are moving. All gears are changing when the engine is off.
So :confused:

Lionel

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Yes, it sounds like the disc is frozen to the plate and/or flywheel. If so, an easy fix (sort of). All you need to do is first warm up the engine then, with the trans in 1st and your foot on the clutch pedal, start the engine. While holding the clutch pedal to the floor, accelerate then decelerate. The disc will release after a couple of attempts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks,
I will check those advices, unfortunately not before next week since I am travelling a little from now . But keep me posted with all your help !
Lionel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fix for sticky clutches

I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago - mine was parked for more than a decade. I tried to disengage the clutch by getting it warm, bumping the starter while in (5th) gear with the clutch pedal depressed, etc. None of that worked. As I discovered later, the disk was soundly stuck to the flywheel and couldn't be un-stuck with radial forces.

Fortunately, there's an inspection cover at the bottom of the bell housing that provides pretty good access to the bottom few inches of the flywheel and clutch assembly. With that cover removed (mine was already off), I was able to carefully peel the disk off the flywheel with a narrow putty knife while a friend depressed the clutch pedal. By bumping the starter a few times, I was able to peel it off around it's circumference. It's been working perfectly ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.