Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a GTV a few months ago that I am now restoring. The car was sort of in sad shape when I got it, nasty rust in the rockers and not running. The good thing is that the car is very original and "unmolested". The odometer shows 26XXX on it. At first I figured it was 126,000 or even 226,000, but the more I look at the car, the more I think it might actually have 26,000 original miles. I say this because many parts of the car have very little wear and have that "untouched" look. The foot pedals have almost no wear on them. It has the original carpet with very little wear on it, even on the drivers side. The windshield is what really amazes me, there are almost no "pits" or wiper marks in the glass typical of cars with 100K+ miles (on the east coast). No evidence the windshield was ever changed, it looks original to me. This was a New England car, it even has a New England SCCA patch on it sewn into the headliner. That would explain the rust. The odometer is in working order.

My question is, what else can I check to further prove the milage? Maybe there is a specific mechanical part that would show lots of wear at 100K+? I don't know if the motor is original and the previous owner didn't know a lot about the car. The car was repainted, so I can't tell from the body, but no sign of any accidents and the chrome and bumpers are very nice.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Can you find prior titles from the DMV? They should have the mileage at time of sale on them.

If the car has been repainted, and has rust, I would think it's got more than 26k miles on it. Otherwise, those must have been a rough 26k miles..

bs

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,631 Posts
how about the seats? Glad you got it when you did if it really does have 26k. A car that young with rusty rockers is an abomination, stored outside and all but very cool you found it, how about some photos!

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Check your parking brake shoes. If the car has 26K on it they'll be like new. However since almost no one ever replaces them, it they're worn then you have more miles. I'm a little reluctant to agree with speedo readings. I have two speedos for my 71. The one that came with the car showed 39K but the gas pedal wear said otherwise. The other one which I purchased said 91K when I got it but a power drill quickly took it up to 97K before I got bored.

I'm thinking that I'll zero it out when I 'finish' the restoration..... in a few years. By the way, my new gas pedal looks as good as the brake and clutch pedals.

Still, a pretty GTV, sigh. Sounds nice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Never thought of trying carfax. The title showed exempt on milage. No records were kept. Here are a couple of pictures. It's missing some grille parts and one of the qtr windows, but just got one to put in. The interior has some tears on the seats, but more from sun damage than wear. Paint was oxidized, but is polishing up nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Carfax doesn't go back that far. If that's the original paint and the car truely grew up in New England, there's a good possibility that it has really low milage. If it had 126K New England miles on it, the windscreen surrounds would be completely rotten and the side rust would be up to the door handles. :p I was going to say check the crank bearings but I like Lokki's idea of checking the parking brake pads better.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You should have bought a 1600 - it would have matched your house number, 1570 ....

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Omg that's hilarious! Well, since I like the car so much I should buy another house with an address of 1750.:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is it just my eyes or have the sills possibly be replaced previously with the old flat-plane reproduction pieces ? Especially the picture from the passenger side looks that way. The outer sill aftermarket replacement pieces didn't get done with a proper curve until somewhere in the late 90s I think. I know as we had to fight with these same flat pieces on my car to get close enough to the proper curve, in the first half of the 90s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good eye, yes it has had previous rust repair done on the rockers. It needs more rust repair again, probably wasn't done right the first time. Typical east coast car. The upper part of the car (around the windows, etc) is solid though.

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
Odd that this car has hubcaps on the passenger side, but not on the driver's. The lack of curb rash on the hubcaps, as well as the unmolested bumpers, do support the claim of low mileage.

Usually the passenger side hubcaps are the ones that get beat up from careless parallel parking. Obviously hubcaps can easily be switched around, but if I only had two, I'd put them on the better-protected driver's side. Of course, finding two more would be a better solution!

Or, maybe the car does have 126,000 miles, and the lack of bumper dings is just a testament to the considerate, safe drivers that New Jersey is known for :D

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Looking at the pictures, I'm inclined to have the same thoughts as the OP. The top side of the car looks very nice. The bottom side would easily rust if left sitting on a lawn for too long, grass wicks moisture up to the undersides. Ask me how I know..

In New England, if the car was driven and the rust was the result of moisture, residual road salt, miles, etc, there would be more rust to be found a little higher.

Another tell tale would be to look at the wheel wells. Rust that was trapped as a result of the wheels flinging crap up into the wheel wells is obvious, and if that's the case, there should be as much as is being mentioned in the rockers and floors. If the wheel wells are clean, but the rockers and floors are rusty, then it's an indication the car has been sitting too long in the wrong place.

bs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts