Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I wait for the new belt, I thought I would continue and clean things up.
So far, idle bearings for the S belt are a but loud but turn smoothly without notching.

Found the clearance for the Timing belt tension pulley about 2x the required 1/8 inch so belt was definitely over tight. The right (front) idle bearing is definitely worn as it is rough so will have to source another or look into replacing the bearing. Anyone familiar with a replacement bearing?.

Now, here's the question the answer which will either allow me to sleep peacefully or cause me to weep into my pillow:

My cam lock slipped as I was trying to pull out the belt and the cam (rear exhaust) closed down. Have I damaged any valves you think?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The bearings are easy enough. If the bearing is rough, the belt is doomed for a short life.

My cam lock slipped as I was trying to pull out the belt and the cam (rear exhaust) closed down. Have I damaged any valves you think?
Been there, the cam that is rather loaded can slip easily. This has never been a problem for me and has happened a few times. Not keeping count, have to bet I have changed a dozen 24V belts.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
my guess is it turned about 3 teeth maybe 4?

I think you are probably ok. the easy way to check it is to do a mini compression test when you have it all back buttoned up. it wont be hot but you dont have to worry about wide open throttle if you keep the intake plenum off......

·
Premium Member
26,997 Posts
Reset cam by reversing cam back to position it was in before it moved. If I were you I would get yourself a set of timing dies and longer bolts to hold dies in place from these folks in UK.

Cam Belt Change Aftermarket Tools :: TotallyAlfa

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re cam locks, tools

Guess I will buy myself a set of cam locks. My heart jumped when the cam slipped and avoiding that again is worth the dollars.

Mind you, would also be interested in renting a set of tools as I may also have to remove a pulley. I don't know if I would want to try that without the wrench seen in Steve's pictures. Will unbolting the pulley with just the cam locks in place lead to other possible stress issues?
Does anyone have a set for rent?

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts