Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I started today and got about 1/2 way thru.

2004 Toyota tacoma, 3.4 Liter V6 twin cam. has about 135K miles on it. Been leaking coolant and wife upset about it. So figured Id do timing belt and water pump/

Tackled this today. 7 hours in and I'm halfway home. Even harder than my LS's and very, very awkward contortions to get things off -- AC compressor bracket is a total bear.

Will report tomorrow hopefully done or at least closer to done!

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
What I started today and got about 1/2 way thru.

2004 Toyota tacoma, 3.4 Liter V6 twin cam. has about 135K miles on it. Been leaking coolant and wife upset about it. So figured Id do timing belt and water pump/

Tackled this today. 7 hours in and I'm halfway home. Even harder than my LS's and very, very awkward contortions to get things off -- AC compressor bracket is a total bear.

Will report tomorrow hopefully done or at least closer to done!
Good luck. These new cars are a nightmare to work on.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
164L T Belt change is a piece of cake compared with '98 Honda Prelude.

164L starter removal easier than '99 BMW 323i starter which is on top of the inline transmission clutch bell housing, beneath the bulkhead and secured all around the motor with about a dozen whacko 'male' TORX screws ......

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well happy to report I think

That tonight at about 6:30 I wrapped it up.

Total time invested-- about 15 hours over both days
Total parts cost -- right around $150 (water pump, t belt, tstat)
# of up/downs/slide under the truck -- prob 50
# of beers consumed -- ZERO!
# of BRISK ice teas consumed-- 7
# of times I wished I had farmed it out-- ~300
# of unique tools fabricated -- 1
# of tools used -- I would guess 25
% of time looking for 12 or 14 mm deep well socket -- ~20
# of aspirins for body aches -- 6 and 2 more tonight
Value of the experience -- PRICELESS -- NEVER AGAIN!!!!

So far no leaks and temp is good, timing is spot on==

Say a prayer for me that it stays that way!

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,725 Posts
Some people just have too much time on their hands, lol.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,586 Posts
My friend - fellow Alfisti Lee did this job on his VW Passat and to hear his story and see this guys thread and pix I think you got off easy on truck, too:

2000 Passat V6 2

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good for you. Nice to get a prespective on what's involved in TB changes on other cars.
Gearing up for mine this winter.
I am in Greece now, boy that MiTo is nice in person.
I am driving a FIAT Panda . Nice car

F

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good for you. Nice to get a prespective on what's involved in TB changes on other cars.
Gearing up for mine this winter.
I am in Greece now, boy that MiTo is nice in person.
I am driving a FIAT Panda . Nice car

F

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
My friend - fellow Alfisti Lee did this job on his VW Passat and to hear his story and see this guys thread and pix I think you got off easy on truck, too:

2000 Passat V6 2
Thats why I will never own a VW again. I had to take off front end on VW VR6 Jetta just to do water pump, along with removing everything and jacking up the motor. Alfa is really kind of simple. At least up to 1998.

Jason

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
agree that VW looks BRUTAL

One of the reasons I bought that truck was the amount of room in the engine bay. I figured it would be easy (knowing the way toyota designs stuff) to replace anything that needed replacing.

On reflection the biggest issue was blind bolts and stuff in the way. Look at that VW!! That is INSANE ! pretty soon we will be needing jewelers tools to work on these things as they keep getting smaller and smaller----

anywho next time I have to do an LS belt I will remember the truck and smile a wry smile and do my best to git-r-done with no complaints!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts